Not sure what to think of Moore Transport.

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by MooneyBravo, Sep 14, 2017.

1. MooneyBravo

MooneyBravo Heavy Load Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Vermilion, Oh
    I started at Moore in April of 2016. I started out with a pretty crappy truck but then 6 months later I was handed the keys to a new truck. Last summer I was doing a lot of running back and forth between Chicago and Delaware. I would sometimes load in Toledo 2 East Pennsylvania and then pick up in Dundalk and go back to Chicago. Sometimes I would load at Belvedere yard which is Below Rockford Illinois and go all the way to Delaware. Belvedere was closed while changes were underway.

They moved the Cherokee from Toledo over to Belvedere and we were supposed to have lots of good runs coming out of their going to East Pennsylvania. I have yet to run out of Belvedere since they opened back up. And since they made those changes everything has been dead out of Toledo. I also found out that they have been brokering those louds that we were supposed to get out of Belvedere and Moore is supposedly saving money by brokering it out.

We seem to be getting forced into going to Elwood Illinois and the farthest that Freight goes is Ohio. Then we get forced into Lordstown and if you're trying to get to the East Coast they get you just on the other side of Pittsburgh. Then you have to deadhead to the east coast to pick up at Dundalk again.

I agreed to run a load from Baltimore to Minneapolis providing that I would get a load out of Belvedere but after I emptied out and started heading down to Belvedere I was told that I would need to go to Elwood instead. It's 450 miles from Minneapolis to Elwood Illinois.

Now here's the catch to all of this. Most of the runs are usually over 330 which means you get $1 per mile. Anything under 330 pays $1.35 a mile which almost never happens. Anything out of Lordstown is $1.50 pet mile but I very seldom get any runs more than about 120 miles.

Also Moore does not pay deadhead miles.
    Last year my paychecks averaged about three or four hundred dollars more per week take home.
    My average take-home these days seems to be about $1,100.

I talked to three drivers today. One said today was his last day and the other two were seriously thinking of quitting. I have to tell you the thought has crossed my mind a couple of times too.
    When I first got on board I was told that Moore transport is a company that listens to their drivers. I'm not sure what I think at this point.

Sometimes I think the whole car hauling industry has just gone downhill like the rest of the trucking industry. I used to take home a minimum of $2,000 a week as a company driver hauling cars but those days seem to be long gone. Everyone found out how much money there was to be made hauling cars and started showing up with all these car hauling trailers and playing Cut throat and now it seems like the rates are too low to make any money worth bragging about.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. crb

crb Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    USA
    I feel you brother.
    Rates are down volume appears to be lower this year. I think the 7 year bubble hit late. I'm hoping 2018 goes back to booming. Problem I see though is most dealers are overstocked.

One of the reasons I shyed away from Moore was the empty mile deal. They have spread themselves pretty far out now.

If it makes you feel any better my company has been tightening it's belt too. Lots of changes going on here.

4. NuCar Carrier

NuCar Carrier Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Golly, a bunch of non union carriers showed up and ruined our Teamster party now the party crashers are complaining someone ruined the dance.

Nothing personal, it's an observation. I appreciate the info you post.

5. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.

Good point,

I guess it's no different that a bunch of Swift, Melton TMC guys showing up and ruining my party hauling heavier/larger stuff?

It's the nature of the industry, I really believe that there is a huge car glut right now, reason I say this is because if you look at "most" other industries they are booming.

The stock market ( not that I would ever use this as a sole indicator) has just closed with records across the board on Tuesday, 36th record day for the DJ since Trump took over, and other businesses can't get stuff out the door fast enough.

But yet Auto Haul is on the ropes, there is a bigger issue at hand, people simply aren't making enough money to buy new cars, I think the price of cars/trucks has escalated a LOT faster than have wages.

I also think we are paying for all of that money that was printed in the last 8 years, JMHO.

6. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    Yep, loaded up one ton diesel dually 10 years ago was $47-$50k. Now they can push mid to upper $70's.
    Half ton loaded up crew cab trucks in $60k range. Won't be long until they are knocking on the $70k range either. New Camaros at $50 k. Just read the updated Mustang convertible can be loaded up to $58k. That is not a Shelby variant either.

Granted, am pointing out vehicles with all of options. But the growth of the avg msrp has far out paced the growth in wages. As well as KT noted, paying for ah~hem, sins of the past 8 yrs of digital monetary printing with artificially low interest rates.

KANSAS TRANSIT Thanks this.
  7. MooneyBravo

Feb 20, 2012
    Vermilion, Oh
    LOL
    Yeah, that's a whole different conversation.
    Funny way to put it though.
    Thanks

slim shady Thanks this.
  8. MooneyBravo

Feb 20, 2012
    Vermilion, Oh
    I will say this
    It's pretty hard to find someone at Moore transport that doesn't treat you good.
    Maybe it's just growing pains and maybe it's just simply good years and bad years. Good or bad everything passes so I will probably just hang out here and take the good with the bad.
    None of us know what lurks around the corner anyway. I have a new truck and I stay in pretty decent hotels every night.

SamHyde, HopeOverMope and crb Thank this.
  9. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    I just find it very hard to swallow the thought of hauling cars for those wages. A good car hauler should be making around six figures, depending on where you are running. More on the coasts, a bit less elsewhere.

But as you also posted, carhaul is heading downhill. I saw a request for overflow work the other day and the target rate (i.e. what the current contract holder was hauling it for,) was less than .40 for cars. Don't remember where that was, but that's insanity! I know of a carrier who just renewed their contract after 3 years and agreed to take a 4% rate cut. After you figure in inflation, you might as well say they took a 10+% rate cut. SMDH

10. Terry270

Terry270 Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    1100 a week for a stinger driver. Where in the f*** is the bottom?!

Canned Spam, Orangees, jbelles and 3 others Thank this.
  11. BigBob410

BigBob410 Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    I left Moore in the beginning of August and spoke with a few drivers that did the same. Just to many things going on and was without a truck for 21 days. I was very happy in the beginning but then the money loads I was running suddenly dried up. I don't mind missing a meal or 2 but when it starts effecting the family...bye bye!!

Canned Spam Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.