Not sure where to go?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Lifechange05, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2015
    What's SNI's tanker position like? I thought about their jet set but then realized I'd have to slip seat so I will probably do a dedicated or regional first. Would you recommend OTR or dedicated? Thanks and good luck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lifechange05

Lifechange05 Light Load Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Northwest Florida
    Theres no way Jetset is worth it in my book. One person I met that did it was from Arizona and he was doing it because we didn't have tanker positions out of his home territory. You see Schneider and other companies utilize the tank washes but dont keep extra tankers at all locations. In the western regions of the country a driver is usually sent with the load and returns with the same trailer. I have heard of occasions where the trailers are cleaned before returning. So with limited activity on western half of USA he opted jet set. The pay never comes out the way the recruiter says ofcourse and on top of that you may not always be in the same area. So when you go home for home time you clean your truck out and carry everything with you. Which may not sound bad, but it can be because generally you carry a certain amount of things that can take 3 bags or more. Your going to throw a lot of stuff away if you go that route plus the equipment is bad enough already and will likely not have that decent of a truck either.

There are more dedicated routes...one in particular I wouldn't recommend is Ecolab because it all caustic chemicals requiring the pickle suit. Dedicated can pay good though because some guarantee a minimum. But you have the junk equipment we have again.

With all positions you will find that dispatching is slow. Schneider loves to get people to buy their worn out trucks or their overpriced new trucks and sell the dream of being an independent contractor. Some folks do good on these programs, but at the end of the day their just doing as good as company drivers. With these Detroit engines they require significant maintenance to last and sometimes maintenance alone isnt enough.

If you go with Schneider....get your experience and plan your next step. Dont fall for the game of going independent and purchase their stuff.

4. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    If you are single, take the bigger money. If not, go with the local gig.

Lifechange05 and SoCalRed Thank this.
  5. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    The home everyday jobs can be much worse than an regional or otr gig.
    I'm home every day, but make $220 a day and work 12-17 hours depending on how l long the dairy takes to unload me. It's the worst job I've had, but I just moved here and need to build my funds to move again. Most of the trucking in Phoenix is a joke

Lifechange05 Thanks this.
  6. nite vision

nite vision Light Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Phenix City AL
    With McKenzie, you can always pull longer runs if you wanted to. That's one good thing about them , you can hauled different things , go OTR for a while , then go back local if needed .

7. nite vision

Sep 21, 2012
    Phenix City AL

8. nite vision

Sep 21, 2012
    Phenix City AL
    If I need to make a lot of money or just want to stretch my legs , I tell them to run me lol . Usually just do regional .

9. SoCalRed

SoCalRed Medium Load Member

Feb 7, 2017
    CA
    You are doing the wrong Home every day gig. Try the LTL companies

Mooseontheloose and scythe08 Thank this.
  10. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    I've done lTL before, I can't do the extra board again and wait by the phone for work. I'm also worried that the autonomous trucks are going to devastate your line haul positions. You have to admit that with ltl, it's the perfect set up.

But thank you. To be honest, I want out of Phoenix. I need green and mountains

11. SoCalRed

SoCalRed Medium Load Member

Feb 7, 2017
    CA
    Can’t blame you wanting out of Phoenix.
    I’m doing P&D. Can’t wait to see an autonomous truck do that. Wouldn’t worry about robots taking over line haul anytime soon neither. They can’t drive a car without killing someone every few months.

scythe08 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.