Now this is the right decision by Federal Highway Administration

Discussion in 'Other News' started by Doealex, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Doealex

Doealex Medium Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Truckstops, restaurants see threat from rest-area food trucks - FreightWaves

Last week I stopped at one of the service areas on PA turnpike. It was a ghost town inside the building. The only hot food I could get was at Sbarro Pizza with very limited menu. One of the two ladies (who were cleaning the restaurant at the time) reluctantly heated up my slice of pizza and off I went to my truck. It looked like they didn’t want to be there. Time for a little competition for better service and prices at the public properties.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    My name is Bryan, and I approve the Roach Coach business

4. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    And to show us how much the truckstops appreciate what the drivers are dealing with, their organization, NATSO, is trying to rally their member to put a stop to any food trucks operating in rest areas. They have always fought any commercialization of rest areas and I understand it from a purely business stand point. But these aren't normal times and truckers need to eat. From Landline Mag:
    Profiteering Natso aims to block food trucks at rest areas - Land Line

Time to let NATSO know how much they suck. Burn up their phones. NATSO, Phone: (703) 549-2100
    Email: editor@natso.com

5. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    They’re probably just mad because they can’t gouge for parking at a rest area unlike a truck stop. F’n vultures!!

6. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    I'll take a food truck over truck stop food
    Any day of the week.
    At least they have some variety.
    They actually use a grill and serve hot food.

7. TokyoJoe

TokyoJoe Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2015
    Roach coaches are just about the only positive thing I have to say about California.

They have those things everywhere serving food better and much cheaper than about 95% of the restaurants in the state.

Now we're going to get them everywhere?

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Roach Coaches occupy a very happy memory for me. I used to work the Philly Docks downtown and about. There were either formal roach coaching or street food trucks just for walking down the block and get a armful of food for today, tomorrow and wrapped in foil for the day after because you cannot depend on getting truckstop food.

For me it was the best of times food wise. Truckstops did not get my money then that year because I was never near any of them. I had to stay with the truck in the field.

There is one rest stop on PA Pike at what I call Midway, there is a Sbarro there that is pretty good in it's day. If they have gotten limited for fear of getting sick or whatever then by all means send the food trucks there. If they wont fix the food then the food trucks will. Thats why we have them.

I am not aware of the traditional roach coach food service to industry in Arkansas if any. But if I did learn of one or two I'll make a trip special just for that.

Rideandrepair and Doealex Thank this.
  9. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    Seems like there is a group or organization for just about everything under the sun. I've heard of NATSO before but generally they seem to be pretty low key. They really stuck their foot in their mouth with this one. Email sent.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  10. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.