nuvi 465T - GPS navigation for trucks

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by moosc, Mar 18, 2009.

1. tedcohen

tedcohen Light Load Member

May 2, 2008
    Portland, Maine
    dieselboss - yes, it is a very nice unit.
    one thing to remember: it will route you away from such things as low clearances, but only those on state routes.
    it does not have the capability of routing you around low clearances on local and county roads, so just be cognizant of that.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    Or bridges. It took me off the main route yesterday down a narrow two lane (why does it route you of a known truck route to one it isn't sure of in the middle of the trip?) that had a 33 ton bridge on it. I got lucky with a turn off back to the highway but it kept telling me to turn around and go across that bridge. Even told me to take a turn down a narrow gravel road that was too tight to make and the angle was so steep my trailer would have grounded. It was telling me to turn around on roads that didn't connect to the highway.

It also tried to route me the long way around a couple towns on 54 for no reason at all, off the wide two lane onto a narrow one.

So it's mostly ok, but still not to be trusted.

What's the big deal with county weight restricted bridges and low clearances anyway? Is that information burned in a pit somewhere so that no one can ever get it?

4. kajidono

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    It also needs a mute button for when you pull off for a break in a truck stop. I really don't need it yammering at me all the way across the parking lot while I'm trying to dodge potholes.

It doesn't try to force me onto the nearest road though. Just shows my current position, on road or off.

I need to find a smaller icon for it. Rolling along in a 1600 foot long truck would be kinda cool but it looks odd on the screen.

5. kajidono

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    Ugh, now it's trying to route me straight through Fort Leonard Wood. How about no... I don't see where you can preview the directions either. You should be able to pull up the list of turn points and tell it to avoid certain ones.

Ah, but you can set a relay point to pass through. I guess that works.

6. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Does it allow you to put in multiple via points or just one?

7. kajidono

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    As many as you want, I think. You can enter the full address, like another stop on the route, or just move the map around and touch a spot. It tell you the address of whatever point you touch instantly, you hit add (or next? I wasn't paying attention), it sets it like a relay point and adjusts the route to pass through it.

8. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Thanks. This unit is sounding real good. Quite the price though.

9. kajidono

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    I found out that it treats every point you set as a stop and thinks that you must stop there.:biggrin_2552: When you go past what you set as a relay point, it will keep trying to route you back to that point until you manually clear it. I think it should pop up a window like it does when you reach the destination when you pass within a certain distance of the point asking wether to clear it and go on. Better yet, it should have actual relay points that clear as you pass them instead of dumbly treating everything as a stop. And those points should not change your ETA. The way it is now it only calculates the time to the next point.

Overall I'm still pretty happy with it. I'd call it the best effort so far to do what they're trying to do.

LSU Tiger and RAG Thank this.
  10. tedcohen

May 2, 2008
    Portland, Maine
    This is not good. I am sobered to hear that this new GPS unit took you off the beaten path down a narrow two-lane road. If that is so, it is really no better than the typical Garmin Nuvi GPS units which, for any of their detractions, do a generally pretty good job.

As many posters have opined, one has to use good ole common sense when using any of these HPS units, even the ones allegedly designed for truckers.

As for a public listing of county weight-restricted bridges and low clearances, there is no existing datatbase that contains such listings. Again, this is a shortcoming of the new Garmin Nuvi for truckers but as of now there is nothing that will prevent this from occurring.

11. tedcohen

May 2, 2008
    Portland, Maine
    For sure a mute button would be nice and Garmin ought to take your advice to heart.

The only thing you can do to silence it is to click on the tool box (you will see a little picture of a wrench) and set the volume on "zero."

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.