nuvi 465T - GPS navigation for trucks

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by moosc, Mar 18, 2009.

1. tedcohen

tedcohen Light Load Member

May 2, 2008
    Portland, Maine
    Skunkmonkey-good descriptive review you poste.
    I'm concerned you may have a bad unit if it's freezing up on you and doing some of these weird things.
    Might want to consider an exchange?
    Where did you buy it from?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    It may be inherent in this initial release too. His is not the first to exhibit this.

4. tedcohen

tedcohen Light Load Member

May 2, 2008
    Portland, Maine
    Dieselboss makes an excellent point. Perhaps people who have these issues should email Garmin and see what their wisdom is on these issues.

5. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    I think they will keep improving it as long as it's not a hardware issue we're stuck with. I can't see them using a cheap base for something they put so much work into already.

I noticed a couple more warnings on it. It popped up a narrow road warning twice going across 36 in Mo. The road never narrowed so the data was outdated but it does have the capability. I might have been seeing things at the time but I swear it popped up an overhanging tree warning. There wasn't a tree either but there was one that looked like the one in the warning on the side of the road. But I'm using "but" entirely too much. My subconscious must be trying to tell me something.

What this thing really needs is the option to sign up for anonymous usage statistics and the ability to update the maps ourselves on the fly. If it turns us down a bad road we should be able to mark that road as bad and specify a reason (narrow road, turn too tight, low bridge, volcano, etc.) When it connects to the internet through our machines it can add that data to a pool. Not all the data will be accurate but by cross checking an ever growing pool of data it will become more and more accurate pretty quickly.

And it doesn't even have to be set up to require entering the reason right then. We're driving and stuff. If it just had an avoid button and kept a running log of whatever we avoided that day, we could scroll through the list and update reasons when we get stopped. Give us something to do while waiting on a load.

I know Garmin has a huge job getting everything up to par, so let us help. Their systems have the capability.

6. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    I had that happen with a garmin. It started losing signal and recalculating all the time. I had it less than a year. Took it back and got a replacement. Never had a problem with this other one.

7. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    That WOULD BE A KILLER IDEA! ALK has that kind of system set up forever for CoPilot Truck and PCMiler but most users don't do it. They did make it a lot easier on the previous version (version 9) because they had a button called "Submit Tracks" and didn't help themselves in version 11 by removing the button along with the ability to mark roads yourself to avoid. :biggrin_25510:

Garmin buys its maps from NavTeq so I think that type of "correction" would ultimately have to be from them rather than from Garmin. But I think your idea of being able to submit your personal edits and notes via the web to any of these makers would be a SOLID one!

8. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    And the key to the whole thing I think would be not having to manually submit the data. You opt into the program, make whatever edits you feel like making that are now on your unit and used directly to your advantage. When you plug the unit in to your laptop for updates or custom poi's, whatever, it just quietly uploads the data. No more boxes to click through, please. That defines the last ten years of personal computing but that does not make it a good feature.

9. ParkRanger

ParkRanger Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Garmin has a software update for the 465t. I had a couple of search issues. The site didn't list what the updates were.

10. onelikeseabass

onelikeseabass Light Load Member

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere in great 48
    This is from Garmin.com:

nüvi® 465T

Part Number: 010-00786-00

Support

1. No software is currently available for this product. Please check back for updates.

11. ParkRanger

ParkRanger Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Ok, maybe it was just mine. I went through the dashboard, it downloaded something, and I've seen some improvements today. But I was having a problem with searches and it's what the tech told me to do.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.