O/O - Factoring Versus Net 30 (60/90/Never)

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by rsconsulting, May 6, 2012.

1. rsconsulting

rsconsulting Light Load Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    So, I've been building a business plan/model for O/O in the future (distant future - LOL)...

And I've been wondering about how O/O's that are running their own authority (not leased onto a carrier) are getting PAID.

Obviously, those that are "financially independent" and have a few months of operating expenses to "float their books" can afford to bill shippers/brokers and wait the Net 30 (or longer for late payers).

Or do you just "factor" your bills?

What kind of percentage do the factors take?

Are there "preferred" factors that aren't rip-offs, since EVERY factors online advertising claims themselves to be "Number One".

If you factor, do you ONLY take loads from brokers/shippers that are on their "approved list"?

Or try to balance your business between factoring and net accounts.

I'm an (admitted) newb, with plans to get into the industry next year - drive for a company to get that (all important) year in, then start looking into other options, possibly including a tractor purchase (NO NO not a company lease, GOD NO), potentially leasing on for a year or two, then considering running under my own authority. I could purchase a (new) tractor right now (sufficient liquid assets), but I'm savvy enough (from running an IT business for 30 years) to look long and hard before leaping. Getting into equipment "all cash" with no debt service, appears to be smarter than killing yourself to try and make a tractor payment month after month.

But I'm curious how O/O's here maintain cash flow...

Regards,

Rick

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    You may want to use that search box ^^^ up there while you're waiting for replies. It's worked well for me in the time that I've been here. There are quite a few threads here regarding factoring and cash flow, and I'm sure that you'll find answers to a lot of your questions pretty quickly.

4. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I am leased to a carrier but run pretty much like any independant under their own authority. My equipment is paid for, I forgo getting paid weekly and wait on the money in order to get an extra 3% and have been operating this way since Jan 1 of this year. If you've got the capitol to wait it's worth it, go ahead and wait. Last I checked several weeks ago I'm up $3,000 by doing it this way. Many of the larger brokers will pay in less than 15 days CHR and Landstar come to mind, Mercer, although I've never dealt with them so why in the world would you give them 1 or 2% for quicker than that? I've seen CHR loads pay in 4 days and that was without giving them quickpay money.. If you can weather it, go for it, definietly worth it. On the other hand I have learned that some of the smaller brokers are really slow to pay even if there are no red flags. For instance there is one sorry excuse of a carrier/broker based out of Birmingham, AL that still owes me for a load I delivered on Jan 13th. My plan from here on out is to stick with the ones that have been keeping me busyt and paying quickly and avoid the ones like this AL based outfit, which btw when I get my money I will be posting up full details on who they are so others here can scratch them off their list. Have 3 loads from Jan and a few from Feb that have me really ticked but it's not going to be the end of the world if I never get the money from one or a couple of them.. Just a bitter pill and a hard lesson.. Even if you can cushion a blow like that you still have to be picky and always want to work with the quicker pays..

5. Crazy D

Crazy D Medium Load Member

Mar 18, 2011
    Homewood,IL
    I have crappy cash flow. Just became an O/O beginning of the year. I do NOT factor. However I do use quickpay as I need it. Sometimes I just end up running short hauls till the checks cOme that I need to run hard again. Most of the brokers are pretty good. Check gets mailed on the 30th day or if it falls on a weekend it'll get put in the mail the following day. Don't be afraid to call these people either. I have a broker out of Gainsville , Ga that claimed the old lost paperwork bit. Finally got my check and it was close to net 60.

6. BigfootWRL

BigfootWRL Light Load Member

Jun 14, 2011
    San Angelo, TX
    Currently factoring through D&S Factors. It's 5% and I have had no big problems, really just small hiccups. I only use brokers that they allow currently.

7. AM77

AM77 Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Chicago, IL
  8. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    mercer will pay same day you scan paperwork, with no fees at all.

9. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I am not currently using a factor. I used D & S for a number of years. I stopped using them this year when they asked me to pledge personal and business assets even though they are a non recourse factor. It is the broker or shipper that is responsible for payment. Non recourse means that they cannot charge back the invoice if the broker or shipper doesn't pay. Had I signed their new addendum to my original contract with them, they could have charge me back for any unpaid invoice even though I was paying a premium for the non recourse. I refused and cut my ties with them. You need to be very careful as to what you sign with any factor. Make sure you understand completely what you are signing. There are both recourse and non recourse factors. The non recourse factors are usually less expensive, but not always. The non recourse factors usually have a sliding scale on their fees based upon the length of time that the broker or shipper takes to pay them. After a certain time period they will charge the entire unpaid invoice back to you.

Many brokers do offer quick pay for a discount on the invoice. It is usually 1-2%. Some charge more. If you can wait 30-45 days to receive your money then it will mean more to your bottom line. Starting out it may be difficult to wait that long to receive your money.

Most of the time if a factor takes the business then the account will pay as agreed.

10. vangtransport

vangtransport Heavy Load Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Non recourse factoring is not what it implies. It only applies if the broker went bankrupt. If a broker decides to short pay you are on your own. Most of the factoring companies won't even call to find out why they short paid, they just bill you. I have used D&S, and also used ABC, I found ABC is little better IMO, because I never have to waist time calling to check out a broker, they have a good website for that. However, their green light isn't always the case, If you get a green light and put freight on your truck, and for whatever reason that broker is no longer acceptable, you are on your own. If you decide to use one, go to one that you do not have to factor every invoice with, don't factor companies that pay on time or have their own QP.

11. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010

I have a friend who quit doing business with D & S because the broker paid short. They never notified my friend. I never had that problem with them. I went with them originally because I didn't have to factor every invoice and they didn't have a minimum. Some factors want you to factor a minimum amount each month and others want you to factor all of your bills. I can't see paying a factor when I can get my money in a couple of days from the broker. It pays to check around. I probably need to set something up with another factor, but since I usually only do business with a few brokers on a regular basis, I don't need to factor their business. They pay quickly and have good rates.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.