O/O local/regional

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by jrev, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Mack185

Mack185 Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Intermodal/Containers isn't the only local route but, it is probably the easiest. There is always Dump (end dump/belly/side/dumptruck), lowboy, flatbeds, hoppers or dry bulk. I don't know about the others but, dump is pretty cut throat so it's hard to get into and make money plus it depends on your area.

I work for a pretty big end dump company and they acquired a coal haul last year or the year before that is a twenty year contract. They hate it and I believe they already want out of it, too much pressure and I don't think they are making the money they want. The terminal manager is usually out driving a truck just to make their daily quotas, it is a nightmare.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rodknocker

rodknocker Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Southeast
    I'm glad to hear it's working out. I'm currently at Estes. Laid off temporally myself. I've done the owner operator thing myself. I've made lots of money doing it. I have no regrets doing it. I'm a lazy driver now. Just want to work several hours and go home.

4. losttrucker

losttrucker Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2008
    greenville,nc
    Which is why I pull containers!! LOL Which terminal are you out of, I was out of 016 wilson nc.

5. rodknocker

Dec 18, 2008
    Southeast
    047 Athens GA

6. Beethoven

Beethoven Light Load Member

May 3, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    I haul containers now herw in cincinnati. I must admit it is nice to be home every night. But it is incredibly hard on your truck. The depot yards here are awful. Probably some of the worst I have ever seen. Especially the container port yards.

I am looking to get out of containers asap.

7. Container Hauler

Container Hauler Light Load Member

May 16, 2012
    Long Beach CA
    Come to long beach... Out of 14 container yards or so maybe 3 have bad paving but most are like any receiver you go to nice and paved

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

8. Jerry S

Jerry S Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2013
    nappanee,in
    AMEN!!!! Landstar8891 I too missed it all, even when you are home you usually have to do something for or to your truck. It is insanity!!!

9. rodknocker

Dec 18, 2008
    Southeast
    Yep, there's always something even if it's waiting in line at the streakin beacon

10. lilrobby

lilrobby Light Load Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Wichita,KS
    I am looking into hauling containers out of va. would like any info that you can provide good and bad in hauling containers for a living. working on getting a truck I have three years otr and local have owned and operated a straight truck before currently working as a l/o for a otr company but have never had any exp hauling containers. thanks in advance

11. freightrunner

freightrunner Heavy Load Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Georgia
    Start out in someone else's truck to see the headache you have to before you jump into something.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.