O/O newbie tax question. Per diem expenses?

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by Waterfowler, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Waterfowler

Waterfowler Bobtail Member

May 6, 2008
    Montrose, CO
    2008 was my first full year as an owner operator and I have a question about claiming per diem expenses. I drive local within a 250 mile radius and rarely spend the night in my truck except for one month during the summer. I do work long hours though, typically 6 hours freeway driving and 8 hours of making drops and pickups. Can I even claim them as a non-OTR driver? And if I can, do you think it would be fair to ask for $12 a day per diem costs. Should I ask for more?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Per diem is for food when away from the tax home for over night.

Otherwise, you would be the same as any other commuter.

4. Waterfowler

May 6, 2008
    Montrose, CO
    Well I do work all night and morning long. Most of my time, including meals, are spent in the truck 150 miles away.

5. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007

It is to cover food expense for the transportation worker who lives in the truck and does not go home every day.

Waterfowler Thanks this.
  6. Waterfowler

May 6, 2008
    Montrose, CO
    Oh well, it was an option worth exploring. I guess I will only tell my accountant to deduct the per diem expenses for the one month I am OTR. Anyway, this is one year I don't really want to bring my net income down so much that it makes the lenders nervous because I am already house shopping and plan on buying soon.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.