O/O wants to rent truck.

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by Sheldon2023, Nov 20, 2023.

1. Sheldon2023

Sheldon2023 Bobtail Member

Nov 20, 2023
    I am an owner operator that is trying to get out of the game. I made a huge mistake by over paying for a truck in 2021. I want to try to lease or sell the truck. The problem is, if I rent it to someone how do I handle the insurance? Do I add them as a driver? Or do they get their own insurance? If I sell, I won't get enough to pay off the loan I took out to get it. I could take a loss, but not too much. Can someone assist me with my options? Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    Put it up for sale and just pay the difference of what you owe to what you can con someone into paying you to buy it. I believe rates will stay suppressed for quite a while so equipment prices will continue to drop like a rock. The longer you wait the more you will lose in the end. How would renting the truck help you out of your problem ? I hoped you learned borrowing money is a bad idea ?

4. Sheldon2023

Nov 20, 2023
    I would just rent to keep up with the payments and insurance. Yes, you are correct. I will never do that again. I had no idea the economy was going to take a dumpster dive. Lesson learned! I am going g back to a 9-5 for now.

Atlanta trucker Thanks this.
  5. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    The problem with renting out your truck is it doesn’t help you out of your problem it only extends your problem. I would check the finance contract it may say you can’t rent it to someone else.

gentleroger Thanks this.
  6. Lyle H

Lyle H Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    Bad idea to rent it out.
    Sell it… swallow the loss …. move on to the 9-5

7. Sheldon2023

Nov 20, 2023
    Thank you!

8. Sheldon2023

Nov 20, 2023
    It was a personal loan.

Atlanta trucker Thanks this.
  9. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Whats this big hammer look like?

I might be game..

cke, Oxbow and Atlanta trucker Thank this.
  10. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    if you lease it to someone they would have to Insure it. you'd write up some kind of contract and get their proof of insurance.
    But if you can't make money with the truck how would you expect someone else to all the while they aren't building any equity either, just making your payments

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.