Obtain authority before truck?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by rbrtwbstr, Jan 9, 2018.

1. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Is it possible, or even intelligent to obtain operating authority before buying a truck? May sound dumb I know, but eventually I'm buying a truck and going on my own. I have no real time frame when this may happen yet, but I'm thinking if I could get authority in place maybe a year or so before actually hitting the road, I wouldn't be faced with being denied a load because of having new authority. Anybody??

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. V c2c

V c2c Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2016
    Waco Texas
    2 have a active authority you will have 2 have insurance as part of it... not a feasible idea. So many other variables also. Don’t get the cart before the horse...

4. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Works for me, planning on buying a new truck and trailer and wating a few years to put it in service.
    Makes just as much sense.
    Just do things in the proper order, everyone wants to age their authority, there are hundreds of thousands of loads every day and your worried about missing a load,
    You can only haul one at a time and what you miss won't hurt.

If being denied one load is worrying you maybe you should rework you business model. Losing a few $1000 loads the first year should be no concern.

rbrtwbstr Thanks this.
  5. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere

That's kind of what I wondered. I figured as much. As I said, this is something I'm just starting to think about, not quite ready to pull the trigger just yet. But, I learn as much as possible before doing anything

OLDSKOOLERnWV Thanks this.
  6. V c2c

V c2c Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2016
    Waco Texas
    Ya 4 it 2 be active will require everything just about as when operating. You can get the number but won’t really be worth much. And as stated before(sorta) won’t really be that much hassle. I had the same mindset at first but 1 our of 20 loads did they even care.

rbrtwbstr Thanks this.
  7. whoopNride

whoopNride Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Miss.
    Insurance with a New Authority will be anywhere from $1000-$1600 per month. Not something you want to pay for a year and not use.

8. murat

murat Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2009
    nebraska
    I agree with whoppNride.your authority is dependent on your insurance,if your insurance expires your authority is suspended. That would be alot of money to pay out and not use it.

rbrtwbstr Thanks this.
  9. kw550cat

kw550cat Medium Load Member

May 22, 2012
    brooklyn, new york
    You have something like 30/45 days to get insurance on the authority. If you can get a truck by then go for it

10. blessedman

blessedman Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Doniphan, Mo
    You have to have a truck to get the required insurance.
    You have to have the required insurance to have active authority.
    You can apply for authority without a truck or insurance but to complete it both are required.

11. volvo2007

volvo2007 Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2018

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.