Obtain my CDL with Driving record from 2006-2009

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Skywings, Sep 14, 2022.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    All Pro Driving School
    7601 S. Kostner Ave. Suite 230 Chicago, IL 60652

Website

Students earn:
    www.drivefordti.com/schools
    - Free tuition
    - $750 per week throughout school
    - DTI employment on day one
    upload_2022-9-16_12-56-16.jpeg

Professor No-Name Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    YRC/Yellow also pays hourly pay, 8 hours a day, while attending their cdl school.
    Sometimes they can train you at the local terminal vs. sending you to another state for school. Either way is good though.

Professor No-Name Thanks this.
  4. 2Tap

2Tap Medium Load Member

Jul 19, 2022
    Southern Wisconsin
    160driving academy is legit. Truck Driving School | Get your CDL | Truck Driving Classes | 160 Driving Academy
    I almost went to the one in Rockford, IL until WIOA which is ran by Manpower pulled my funding because I'm a "Conceptual" person.
    $5280 for school as of this summer and reasonable training. Local community college had a 2 semester waiting list and is closer to $7000

I want to be with a trainer in the real professional driving world for 15,000 miles and not on a school obstacle course.

Regarding Paid sponsorships if you can find one, they are going to pay me to learn? I won't have to find a job after school?
    Seems like a win win and i will gladly honor that contract!

Be careful though and heed the great advice on these forums. Read thy contract! I found companies paying as crappy as .30cpm and still wanting 7k for their sponsorship paid off over 10-18 months. Of course Food, Lodging was included but what's that really costing you?

One thing that really helped me decide also is look at their equipment going down the interstate. I travel I-90 anywhere from Chicago to Madison frequently and the company that chose me has some really nice looking equipment that appears well maintained compared to others (Prime). Sorry to call you out Prime but your #### looks ragged and tired around here.

Good Luck to you!

5. PaulMinternational

PaulMinternational Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2022
    Please remember the way you felt!
    It will help motivate you to stay out of trouble in the future.

2Tap Thanks this.
  6. Skywings

Skywings Bobtail Member

Sep 14, 2022
    I just want to say thank you to everyone’s input and welcoming comments. I’m so very thankful please believe that.

I read the CDL book I got from the local DMV and took exams and practice tests on the cdl prep app and certain websites. I first started scoring 70% on the application exams on my cellular until finally reaching 80%. Eventually reaching 90%’s and finally achieving 100% on all three exams and going back to read some sections in the CDL book. The General Knowldege, Air Brakes and Combinations.

I went to the Elk Grove facility this week on Wednesday and paid 50$ to take all three exams. I got my CDL permit !! I didn’t miss one question on the General Knowledge or the following one on Combinations. Although when it came to the air brakes I did indeed miss two questions. But I passed ! I’m so happy that’s one of the happiest moments I’ve had in a while.

Again. Thank you everyone !

Boondock, InTooDeep and Chinatown Thank this.
  7. 2Tap

2Tap Medium Load Member

Jul 19, 2022
    Southern Wisconsin
    Floor mount toilets with the classic Harvey no seep #3 aren't bad but man i feel your pain carrying them around. Knockout toilet flanges can be tricky and compressing those closet mount toilet rings solo and securing are a real pain!

Glad you got it all sorted out Skywings! Some aren't so lucky! I also successfully completed my General Knowledge, Air and Combo tests today up in Sconnie and had two people next to me testing who didn't do as well. One 50 year old something came in 10 minutes after and must have bombed the general knowledge i'm assuming as the amount of expletives and then he got up and left after 10 minutes. Other gentleman came several minutes after the first fella and was still on the computer an hour later with his head buried in his hands once i finally got back to the counter to get my temp paper and picture taken for the license. I wanted to tell both about the test sites but was strictly forbidden from talking to others when testing or touching a cellphone.

Pretty darn noisy, i would in retrospect advise people to ask to see if they can use earplugs if they have focusing/attention issues.

8. PaulMinternational

PaulMinternational Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2022
    Glad to hear you passed.

As for those who were not prepared, they should have studied I don’t care about the noise or any other possible distraction, out on the road there will be multiple things going on around you with 50 other cars and trucks doing all kind of stupid things. Those who are not prepared and easily distracted should take failing as a sign that maybe they just shouldn’t be driving period let alone a truck!

2Tap Thanks this.
  9. Skywings

Skywings Bobtail Member

Sep 14, 2022
    Thanks everyone for the posts and replies. I was approved for a WOIA grant from the state back in December. It was about two month process. I started late December in a CDL school and have been doing 2 hour classes along with 2 hour driving sessions. Learning and studying the pre trip forms at school and at home. I will be taking the pre trip, skills and driving test in about a week!!! I’m so nervous and excited at the same time.

It’s been a couple arduous months including personal dilemmas and learning a new trade but I’m eager and have been diligent in the process I really wanting this. I’m being focused and applying myself to the pre trip and classes. I really want this and have been for a while if there is any advice for a beginner and my pre trip and exam coming up I’d really appreciate it. Sorry if I should’ve made a new thread. I know it’s rather old. I just wanted to say how thankful I am for everyone’s input. God bless and safe travels.

jamespmack, 2Tap and Chinatown Thank this.
  10. 2Tap

2Tap Medium Load Member

Jul 19, 2022
    Southern Wisconsin
    Pre-trip is going to be easiest to memorize practicing with another and in a truck. Catching what each others misses is paramount to learning the monotony of it quickly i felt.

I made a video of my trainer with his permission and that and the above made it pretty simple. Use whatever tools are at your disposal and use them all.

Good Luck!

Skywings Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.