Occupational noise exposure of operators of heavy trucks

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by camionneur, Oct 1, 2016.

1. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    I kinda hate to admit it, but I spent a lot of time as a kid with loud stereos. Big subwoofers. Felt real good, impressed all my friends, girls loved it, but terrible on the eardrums. I eventually "grew up" and had kids of my own.

Fast forward a few years: my son was old enough to get interested in the same stuff. I was single at the time. Saw an opportunity for a project that he and I could do together as a father/son deal. He wanted to compete in the stereo competitions, and I had this old Honda Civic. So we went to work. Built a big system in that car. Won some local shows. Started traveling with it and won everywhere we went. Got invited to national finals, and won there as well. It was loud. And I'm sure my hearing has paid the price.

But I don't regret it. Made memories with him that summer that cannot be replaced. Taught him that hard work pays off. He was 13 then, and growing up fast.

Now I drive a straight-piped W900 with an N14. Jakes are brutal with the window down. I keep them up as much as possible, and stuff some ear plugs in. I can still hear what I need to hear, but at a much lower level. Rarely use the jakes anyway. I don't run in the mountains.

It works for me.

Zeviander and camionneur Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. camionneur

camionneur Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2013
    I rarely use the brakes, that's another ounce of prevention type of thing for me, but then the compression is muffled too.

4. flatbeb mac

flatbeb mac Medium Load Member

Aug 16, 2015
    the turbo on my old 91 will give me a headache in less than 30 mins with the window down. The ac condenser blew a hole in GA Tuesday and it was close to 90 deg out, drove a bit over 900 miles with the windows down. Been home for close to 8 hours and I can still hear it =/

5. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Sound like this one?

ShooterK2 Thanks this.
  6. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    Fought in Iraq and Afghanistan. Driving a truck and worrying bout a little diesel noise. Soon they will choke the engines with sound reducing exhaust, inoperable window controls, and sound limiting radios! This country is turning into ####! Need less latte drinkers and more tough men. Lol! Infidel up and eat bacon!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    Reason for edit: Stinking grammer
  7. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Yes but the video does not do justice to how loud it actually is. Pipes are right out the window and I can't run tall stacks because I load in some pretty low facilities.
    Gotta keep that window up if I'm gonna run the jakes.

It does sound real mean, and there are times I like it. But need to take the edge off so I can use the Jake in town if I need to without disturbing the peace.

One thing it's good for is getting slow traffic out of the hammer lane. You know, the mini van that wants to get next to a governed truck and then match their speed for miles, which is usually well below the speed limit.

Zeviander and Short Fuse EOD Thank this.
  8. Ke6gwf

Ke6gwf Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Napa Valley /Yreka CA
    Lol, well, since blowing stuff up tends to "take the edge off" of other loud noises, I can understand your perspective!

However some of us want to be able to hear other things as well, so it is not weakness but planning ahead that gets us to want to take care of our ears a little.

A little secret...
    Most sound guys for ear bleeding rock concerts? Ya... They use hearing protection... ;)

9. camionneur

camionneur Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Kind of funny, looking at this PPE you might think it's all alike, but then the 3M hard hats in Europe have contoured areas over the ear for the muffs to be more adjustable. While some of their muffs available here are more compact up top to accomplish the same thing.

[​IMG]
    Here's a pic of them together
    (G3000 hat with H31P3E muffs).​

It's good to have one or the other feature in combinaton, which makes it easier to move them out of the way too (they can be popped inward and outward where the wire connects them, and rotated 360 degrees, or slid upward and downward). There are other designs for fitting over full brim hard hats, although those would get in the way of the seat back, so I wouldn't recommend that type.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  10. Ke6gwf

Ke6gwf Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Napa Valley /Yreka CA
    For my part of the fashion show, this what I use. ;) images.jpg

Studebaker Hawk and camionneur Thank this.
  11. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

These are much cheaper, more comfortable, more efective. They are available at Amazon, Walmart, grocery stores.
    https://www.amazon.com/Hearos-Plugs-Xtreme-Protection-pairs/dp/B000NP79YM

camionneur Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.