OD Entry Level

Discussion in 'Old Dominion' started by 101driver, Sep 6, 2012.

1. 101driver

101driver Light Load Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hi,

Old Dominion hires students from the community college CDL program that I'm in, and I have heard that they're one of the best companies, so I thought I'd look into them.

I think I understand that as a new employee I'll be on the "extra board," which is like being on reserve, I suppose. What is life on the extra board like?

What kind of schedule would a new driver have?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CastingMyFateToTheWind

CastingMyFateToTheWind Light Load Member

Sep 5, 2012
    I too wish to know more about Old Dominion. The do accept recent graduates from an approved CDL school here in Chicago. I though everything was hourly paid. Are the line-hauls paid by the mile and not hourly? Time and one-half after 40 per seven days? I agree with the 'you don't have to go over the road' thread. I may not last one year if I only get $300/week working for 70 hours. Thank you, and I await answers from my future brethren.............

Nightwind8830 Thanks this.
  4. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Xtra Board is when someone doesn't come to work (vacation, sick, etc.) and the xtra board fills in........or, if freight is so heavy, they have to call and extra run. Depending on where you are, it can be really good or really bad. Most places will try to supplement the driver's income by letting them work the dock or any extra city work. Overall, it can kinda stink the first year or so, but it's pretty much how all LTL companies bring new guys into the fold.

Hourly pay is for everything except line haul driving. Dock work, fueling, hooking, and city pick up and delivery driving. As to their overtime policy, I don't know. Some companies pay after 8, some after 40, some not at all (trucking companies are exempt from paying overtime).

As a new hire, or extra board, or whatever, your best path is to take whatever work is offered.....whenever, wherever, whatever.....and always be prepared to go to work. This will do 2 things for you; first, you will make more money. And second, when they find out you're willing to work, they'll put you to work......simple as that. As far as a 'schedule' goes, you won't have one......sux, but that's the way it rolls.

OD is a really good company and you'll find most of their drivers are very happy people. This is a great opportunity and you should go after it. You can find out a lot more about OD on Truckingboards.com.

Good luck!

5. Tricky Rick

Tricky Rick Light Load Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Northwest Mississippi
    This coming Tuesday is my 5th anniversary at ODFL. If they offer you a job, take it. Extra board linehaul drivers usually average 5-6 runs per week. Starting pay (by the mile) is usually higher than other companies top pay. You go out 2-300 miles to another terminal, or a "meet and swap" location (truckstop), and then return home the same day. Or, you can "bag out" and go to another terminal more than 300 miles away and go to the motel for your 10 hour break. After that break, you can "run the system" or go back home. Equipment is very good to excellent. Day cab single axle Freightliner Columbias and Cascadias. Some Volvos. I drive a brand new 2013 Cascadia (assigned to me) electric windows, mirrors, cruise control, a/c, lane departure warning, prepass, PeopleNet electronic logs. Not bad for a company truck. Management is way above about 95% of the industry. Do your job safely, on time, don't tear up equipment, and they really do treat you like family. Extra board finishes a run and after 10 hours off you are on call. May be minutes or hours before dispatch calls you. They give you up to 2 hours to report back to work. Not much of a "life" on extra board, but you still see your house most every day or 2. Much better than OTR, imho. Once you get a "bid run", the world gets closer to normal. 5 runs a week, 2 days off. Take the job. I was on the Extra board for 4 1/2 years, made great money. Now I have a bid run, about the same money, but I have a semi normal life.

6. 101driver

101driver Light Load Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Winston-Salem, NC
    awesome, i'm sold.
    tell me, what are days off like?
    another thing, do you make any money being on-call but not on a trip? anything like a base or guarantee pay?
    i'm very impressed with what you've told me. i heard ODFL was the place to try. i'll be doing it.

7. Tricky Rick

Oct 25, 2010
    Northwest Mississippi
    We are paid strickly by the mile. $1.50 for each drop, each hook, and each fuel. Extra board doesn't pay anything for being on call, unless you are at the motel and, I think, it starts 4 hours after your 10 hours is up. Not sure, as I never had to wait that long. Smaller terminals pay hourly rate if you do work the dock. In MFS, linehaul doesn't work the dock, however new hires are now cross trainning as "combo" drivers-they do dock, linehaul, and city P & D. Most major terminals have fuel and DEF on site. There is no base or guarantee pay but expect $55,000 the first year. $65,000+ if you bag out and run the system. One week vacation after one year, 2 weeks after 2 years, and 3 weeks after 8 years. 2 all purpose days per year that can be carried over up to 6 total. $40 per week for family ins. about another 20-30 for dental, short term and long term disability. Don't quote me exactly on the ins. but its in the ball park. Our headquarters is in Thomasville. Give them my name when you first apply and I'll get a happy. You will have to give them my employee #, also. Any other questions, shoot em' my way.

8. Tricky Rick

Oct 25, 2010
    Northwest Mississippi
    Now for the fine print. Extra board drivers usually get the Columbias with 400-800,000 miles on them. Well maintained, but 07's to 2010's. All trucks have 10 speed Roadrangers, cold a/c, PeopleNet computers, cruise, all trucks governed to 65, a few longer bid runners may scare 70. They treat you like family, but you must follow the rules. We run safe and legal all the time. A good pre trip will normally get you out and back. Don't leave with defective equipment. We put padlocks on trailers before leaving the terminal. Tire problems are minimal with premium Michelin tires on most everything. Days off on the extra board usually involve catching up on your sleep. You have to get reasonable rest on your breaks. Never, Never drive drowsy, no phones without headsets. Common sense and courtesy appreciated. Professionalism expected. CB's and am/fm/cd/Sirius XM allowed.

9. CastingMyFateToTheWind

CastingMyFateToTheWind Light Load Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Thank You TR. I shall apply to Old Dominion at 47th & Central before I go to class tomorrow.

10. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    As long as a position is open , they would hire less than a year exp? Currently with SNI since last Dec as a new driver. See the local terminal has a set of banners up every few months saying they are accepting apps.

91B20H8 Thanks this.
  11. Tricky Rick

Oct 25, 2010
    Northwest Mississippi
    I've been to the COH and CHI terminals a few times. Don't know if, and when, they are hiring, and what experience level is required. Its best to call each terminal and ask. Good luck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.