Off Duty Letter for Swift - anyone have a copy?

Discussion in 'Swift' started by SteveH85396, May 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveH85396

SteveH85396 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Waddell, AZ
    If someone could take a photo of their off-duty letter (the one Swift gives to every driver authorizing them to go off-duty instead of staying on-duty for short breaks) and email it to me I'd greatly appreciate it. Just PM me and I'll give you my email.

Thanks,

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    If you drivers dont know where its at... it should be in your permit book. Sorry steve i dont work fkr swift no more

4. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    OK, you can just use this:

KNOW ALL MEN BY THESE PRESENTS​
    I dispatcher Delbert Dumb Schidt do hereby authorize driver SteveH85396 to go off-duty for short breaks. Or broken shorts, whichever applies.
    Let it be further known, that driver SteveH85396 is relieved of all responsibilities and duties associated with this company, or the truck he is assigned to, for these shortbrakes.

5. SteveH85396

SteveH85396 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Waddell, AZ
    OK, let's try this again!
    I need a copy of the Swift off-duty letter to show safety at my current company in hopes they will do the same.

6. A21CAV

A21CAV Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Laredo, TX
    Steve, I've got it. PM me your phone number and I'll text it to you.
    Frank

7. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    If you want to work for a company that acts like Swift, work for Swift. Don't try to bring your new company down to Swift's level. That letter you seek is not necessary, as EVERY CMV operator MUST be released in order to take at least 30 minutes off duty at some point before they drive past the 8th hour since starting their day. That is what the regulations require, without regards to company policy or whether you have a letter or not. In the years I've been driving I've never had such a letter, and have never been asked to produce one by any officer looking over my logs.

drvrtech77 and noluck Thank this.
  8. A21CAV

A21CAV Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Laredo, TX
    True, what you're talking about but nowhere close to the subject at hand and completely irrelevant to what the op is asking SWIFT DRIVERS for which I'm sure doesn't include you. Don't let the door hit you in the ### on your way out of this Swift thread. Bye.

9. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    I know exactly what he's asking for, and he stated why he's asking. That letter is irrelevant and unnecessary. He wants his current employer to waste time and energy drafting a similarly unnecessary and irrelevant letter to carry with him despite the fact that nobody is ever going to ask for it. It isn't required by anybody. Having it or not has no bearing upon whether or not you can log yourself off duty when you are in fact off duty...and whether the company gave you a letter stating you weren't responsible for the truck and load during that time or not has no legal standing removing you from responsibility should something happen to the truck and/or the load during that time. The letter he's looking for...the one he wants his current employer to write...isn't worth the paper it is printed on. If Swift told you it was required, it probably isn't the only lie they've told you. Sorry to burst your bubble.

10. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I rather wondered about that letter when I signed it 6 years ago. It seemed redundant.
    If I get out of the truck for a pee break or for a meal I log off duty, which is keeping with any regulation I can think of or find. So such a letter is not necessary.

We are off duty unless performing work related duties.
    No written letter can change that, or even reinforce it.

I'm with Pedigreed Bulldog on this one.

11. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Although, I haven't been through all of the regs.

Like, I saw nothing about a line 5 for off duty driving in that section.
    Where is that?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.