Oh geez! There’s another one to worry about! Virus!

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by MericanMade, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Mid-May Trucker

Mid-May Trucker Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2018
    Before this year nobody ever got sick viruses were eradicated by the allies, what has happened since then!????

D.Tibbitt and Rcranch81 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Do you have any idea how many people each year in the US have died from the flu and flu like illnesses? Its in the area of 50,000 people. You can't shut down the US economy like this. Even with the Swine flu caused thousands of deaths and the US did not close up the economy. Mark my words, more will be harmed by shutting down the economy then Covid 19 when all is said and done.

650cat425 and Bakerman Thank this.
  4. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    It makes people like I sound absolutely heartless when we make statements like I just did. The elderly and other people with weakened systems like those that have HIV have been passing away from these bugs for centuries now. It is just part of the life cycle. I myself have a weakened system. I have taken the proper precautions and am under strict orders from my Physician. I use a hand sanitizer and wash my hands all the time. I spray Lysol and use germ killers on all my doorknobs and other contact surfaces. People such as I have to be the ones to self-quarantine and not expect the rest of the population to all stay in and shut the economy down. I also challenge people to actually read some of the things the media is not reporting on conditions in places like Iran and Italy. The US will get through this. However, I fear what I call the hurricane party effect later on. I am 100% convinced this bug will turn out to not be Ebola-like and kill everybody it touches. Then people in the future will become cynical the next time the media cries wolf. Hopefully, there won't be a next time, but what happens when a real Ebola-like pandemic happens and the majority of the population scoff at it?

650cat425 Thanks this.
  5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I'm already scoffing at it.

I've survived SARS, bird flu, swine flu, zika, ebola etc.

6. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    That's OK, just make sure to take it seriously when professionals are issuing warnings. Like you, I scoff at the fear-mongering media.

650cat425 and HoneyBadger67 Thank this.
  7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    All we can do is be responsible. If we're sick, stay home. Wash hands regularly etc. It's been blown way, WAY out of proportion IMO.

D.Tibbitt and 650cat425 Thank this.
  8. MericanMade

MericanMade Heavy Load Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Pensacola, FL
    I thought my sarcasm was self-evident.

Anfluvi-20

Annual Flu Virus 2020

My wife made an excellent point this morning regarding public elementary school closures (she teaches 2nd grade). People’s bills aren’t going to stop, and people have to work. So daycares are going to be busting at the seams. Governor DeSantis just moved the masses of children from one crowded building to another. It was a dumb move that wasn’t very well thought out. He’s bowing to media pressure to “do something!”

But I now see why colleges have shut down. It’s not to protect the students who appear to be resistant; it’s to protect the grey ponytails.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  9. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I imagine the damage to the US economy will be in the billions of dollars before this mania is over, and will only compound as more time goes by! When schools close, bus drivers are out of work. Foodservice providers like Sysco will have to lay people off. The sporting events being canceled will result in many people's income being lost. Most of these people are not employees either, they are private contractors. I wonder how much stock has already been bought that will have to be tossed or give to a charity. The owner of this website want's no political discussions in these forums, so I am handicapped with my comments, just know this. People are hurting and some of this damage might be so bad there will be no recovery. I just hope somehow these folks can get at least some of their losses reimbursed. Remember these numbers as you comment further. According to the CDC in the US 2019-2020 flu season, there were 222,000 confirmed cases of the flu, and it's estimated there was 36 million cases overall resulting in 22,000 deaths. As of this writing, there are under 100 deaths directly tied to Covid-19. The 2009 Swine flu infected 61 million in the US resulting in 12,000 deaths. Covid 19 so far in the US under 100 deaths. Yet people are still calling for the US to shut down the US economy and everybody hides under a dang rock I guess. People have lost all sense of proportion!

10. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    I believe this is going to distance people even more than social media and personal cell phone’s have been able to accomplish. I’ve noticed the last 3-4 days being out and about people are going out of their way to keep distance. They arn’t pushing into everyones personal space anymore in lines.( which is good for once) Maybe it’s me with this thought but I think the action of people in business’s using hand sanitizer and lysol spray in the presents of customers after every transaction is a form of social disrespect. I understand they feel they need to protect themselves but come on. That and the dance around to stay away from the other person is gonna hurt more than help. Fist bumps forever now tho.

D.Tibbitt and 650cat425 Thank this.
  11. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    I prefer Boomer Doomer.

Think of all the classic cars and management positions that will FINALLY be available in six months. (sarcasm)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.