Oh god! What did I get myself into!

Discussion in 'Trucking Jobs' started by Skunk_Truck_2590, Feb 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skunk_Truck_2590

Skunk_Truck_2590 Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Stonewall, LA.
    Well, this to say the least sucks. I'm on the last bit of getting all the paper work finished and some moeny gathered up before I get shipped to West Memphis, AR. for school. I talked with them and the school want's a $400 down payment and a prehire with Swift:cussing: :smt021 before I can start school. I'm trying to figure out how I get stuck with a company I have never liked. However they said once training is up I could go with another company. My question to whom all drive's for Swift. Do they still offer Freightliner's with manual tranny's? I'm already dreading having to train in a #### volvo. *sigh* Plus if I ended up staying with them for what ever reason then that's surely a truck I do not want to be in for the next whenever.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. The New Yorker

The New Yorker Light Load Member

Dec 9, 2005
    ZOO York
    Well If you signed with swift then that's it you need to live with it, if you didn't sign then just move on. I never heard of a down payment for that type of training, somethings don't sound right.

4. Skunk_Truck_2590

Feb 16, 2007
    Stonewall, LA.
    Well, I haven't signed with them yet. Reason for the $400 down payment is because it's being financed with no credit so the finance company want's something to make sure they are going to get their money back. That's the reason for a prehire and down payment. It's really the only way I could go because I can't afford school out of pocket and I've already been denied on other loans I've applied for. I also lost out on financial aid. I just can't believe I didn't get some kind of choice on who I would want to drive for.:smt026

5. possumbelly

possumbelly Bobtail Member

Sounds like indentured servitude is alive and well!

6. truckntim80

truckntim80 Light Load Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Cookeville, TN
    Stay with Swift for a year and get your training paid off and build up your experience. Then make a move to a 'good' company. Good companies don't want to see that you had a lot of driving jobs in the past year, better known as job hopping.

7. Skunk_Truck_2590

Feb 16, 2007
    Stonewall, LA.
    Well, I was thinking of getting my training and about 3 month's in then going to J.B Hunt. I like what I have been reading about them.

8. The New Yorker

Dec 9, 2005
    ZOO York
    The last think I think you would wanna do is to transfer into JB, You like what your reading where? On JB's pages, it's a sales pitch to recruit drivers. They have a bad rap in the industry.

9. Skunk_Truck_2590

Feb 16, 2007
    Stonewall, LA.
    Yea, but, aren't they a tad bit better than Swift is? I don't really care for driving for a company with a bad rep. known for it's drivers. I dunno. I guess all I can do is take the plunge. What do I have to loose?

10. The New Yorker

Dec 9, 2005
    ZOO York
    Some other members of the forum are better qualified to answer that then me, but I think Swift is a tad bit better. All the drivers for JB I have talked to have had nothing nice to say, and just the flip for Swift, they seem to say it's OK for now. SNI, most of them guy's are content for the most part. I worked for SNI (for 9 months or so) but never the other 2. Ever look into Schneider's?
    You have a lot to loose 6 - 12 months of your life, money not to mention your sanity. If you haven't already take some time and search though the threads for subjects containing the 3 company's, and make your own assessment. In here you'll get both sides at the same time, instead of just one.

11. truckntim80

truckntim80 Light Load Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Cookeville, TN

I wouldn't go to JB Hunt either! They play the SAME games (if not more) that Swift and all these other 'low end' companies do. If you have a stable work history (one before you went in to trucking) , check out Roehl, which is a great company and the one I picked to start out again. Lot's of good info on them on here!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.