Oil Cooler 6NZ

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Smellfunny, Apr 13, 2024.

1. Smellfunny

Smellfunny Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    Doing a oil cooler on a 6NZ and when I took the old one off this is what it looked like. I have done a few over the years but never seen one that looked like this. It was mixing oil into the coolant. So I am going to flush.
    Customer has been running green coolant and wants to go back with Red ELC. What are your opinions on this? Truck shows 800k on the odometer. Probably 1.8 million.

Attached Files:

Deere hunter Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Deere hunter

Deere hunter Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Shallowater Texas
    Looks like there were some kind of an object in there, rolling around, rubbing on that for a long time!

Jordonh, bjytech, Smellfunny and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Smellfunny

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    That’s what I thought as well but I did not see anything. Will look closer Monday.

5. W923

W923 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2022
    Never seen one look that way…all the tubes are usually very close in length and square ended. Can you tell if it’s some cheap aftermarket or maybe the pictures just make it look weird

Smellfunny Thanks this.
  6. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Running red elc in my 3406e since its rebuild about 500k ? Ago. Actual differences... not much that i could really tell, but for me at least it shows up easier if it leaks (leaves that white residue)

W923 and Smellfunny Thank this.
  7. Smellfunny

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    It has what appears to be a cat sticker on it. You can't read it anymore. The one thing that we found odd was that there was anti-seize on the 4 bolts that hold it in place. Fresh anti-seize. Maybe he had a water pump go bad and someone damaged it then. I will ask the customer when I see him.

W923 Thanks this.
  8. Smellfunny

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    Yeah just wondering if there will be any issues if this thing has been running green since day 1 and I switch to ELC.

9. Smellfunny

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    No it is bowl shaped in the end. Even some of the tubes are angled. I would say weirdest thing I ever saw but that would not be true. This is the same customer that had the truck catch on fire a week or so back while it was just sitting in our yard.

W923 Thanks this.
  10. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Nah, wouldnt worry about that

W923 and Smellfunny Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.