Oil Field Logs...how does the exemption work?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by WRIGHTRACING, Mar 27, 2012.

1. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    There are two rules; one for "...commercial motor vehicles used exclusively in the transportation of oilfield equipment, including the stringing and picking up of pipe used in pipelines, and servicing of the field operations of the natural gas and oil industry...", the other for "...specially trained drivers of commercial motor vehicles that are specially constructed to service oil wells..."

Water haulers could qualify for the first (assuming they are working field operations of the natural gas and oil industry exclusively), allowing them the use of the 24 hour reset. In my opinion, it is questionable whether they could use the second, which allows for on-site waiting time to be logged as off-duty time... that one would apply to cement, acid, frac, N2, wireline, laydown, power tongs, etc.

Note that §395.1(e)(1) is the "100 air-mile radius" rule; users of the second rule cannot use it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Montana Dodge

Montana Dodge Bobtail Member

Jan 25, 2013
    That is my understanding. Our company doesn't want to run time cards, because that would limit everyone to 12 hour days. Because we are a fairly big company without leasers, corporate wants us to run legal.

Here's my question though that brought me to this page in the first place. The rules that go into effect on July 1st stipulate that you must have 2 periods of 1AM to 5AM in your 34 hours of reset. I work graveyards and take 36 hour resets once per week. So that won't work for us, or we would have to take 2 days off instead of 1. Will the oilfield exemption of 24 hour resets still apply after July 1st? We have a bunch of graveyard workers, so we need to get this figured out.

4. WRIGHTRACING

WRIGHTRACING Heavy Load Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Iuka MS/Muscle Shoals AL
    I'm not sure on the oilfield 24 hour rule, but think about the team drivers, or just anyone in general who drives at night instead of day. This rule will screw them royally. Their co-driver can take a 34, but they will have to make sure they start theirs before 1am or take 2 days...really extreme ruling that wasn't thought out.

5. Bikerdave

Bikerdave Light Load Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Middle of nowhere TEXAS
    They try to change/amend the rule every year or so. It always seems to be put off....Remember Oil doesn't mix with water , but it sure does with politics

6. robione

robione Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Williston, ND
    http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regu...n/rulemakings/notices/OilField-Exception.aspx

FWIW "air-mile" is a nautical mile not statute and is a bit longer than 5280 feet. Also as long as you remain intrastate ND has a 150 air mile rule.

http://www.legis.nd.gov/cencode/t39c32.pdf?20130605071042

7. haulhand

haulhand Road Train Member

The 24 hour reset remains as it has been. Don't abuse it as lawmakers woukd kuke nothing more than to get rid of it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

8. safetyisforgirlstoo

safetyisforgirlstoo Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2015
    I don't know if anyone can help. I have been out of DOT regulations for a while but just started again in Oilfield. My drivers punch in daily do they need to log?
    Marina

9. haulhand

They only need to log if they work longer than 12 hr shifts, run outside of their 100 or 150 mile radius, or cross state lines. If they don't do any of those three then you are good on a time card.

10. TLeaHeart

TLeaHeart Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    close to correct, state lines have nothing to do with the 12 hr shift, or the 100 air miles.

11. haulhand

Your right I was mistaken I just read the rule again and I was thinking about something else. My drivers don't use this so I'm a little fuzzy on it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.