Oil in coolant or dirty system

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Rasim, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Rasim

Rasim Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2014
    took off bottom radiator hose inside black as charcoal. Oil pressure good 30-60 temp always around 170 good power no smoke out pipes does hav bad blow by no water in oil did analysys is it oil cooler or system dirty? Engine was overhauled i believe 100 k miles ago maybe system was never cleaned??? How can i tell oil cooler is bad??? Here are pics

What i did...

I bought the truck a month ago it had green coolant I changed green coolant to red coolant flushed it out real good added water so the coloring goes away went to Texas came back coolant looks like purple dark purple flushed it again added water added some cleaners from Napa for the radiator flush again went to Denver Colorado came back again same issue

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rasim

Rasim Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2014
    Should i keep flushing it with water and dawn maybe that will work common guys i need your input if you experienced this and or know what you are talking about

4. Rasim

Rasim Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2014
    Forgot to mention engine is a 1999 Detroit 12.7 series 60 with 500hp.

5. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    No Dawn, Flush with Cascade liquid dishwasher soap or similar. Flush with clean water and fill with premix coolant only, not tap water mix. If you have to mix use distilled water. By the photos I do not see any signs of oil. If anything maybe from an old compression leak, but with no pushing coolant and no overheat I would clean it up and run it to see if anything returns. That staining probably wont come off the plastic surge tank either.

6. Rasim

Rasim Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2014
    How much cascade

Thanks for reply

7. Rasim

Rasim Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2014
    Can i just dump cascade in the coolant i already have in now?

8. Rasim

Rasim Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2014

And then flush with water?

9. Goodysnap

Jul 12, 2017
    No dump the old coolant and use water with the soap. Real nasty systems take 2 or 3 flushes. No real need to rinse with water but it wont hurt anything either. I ussually use 2 or 3 cups per flush.

10. Rasim

Rasim Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2014
    How long should i run it for?

11. Goodysnap

Jul 12, 2017
    Up to temp plus maybe an hour or two.

Rasim Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.