Oil pressure and high temp light staying on

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Domingo101, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Domingo101

Domingo101 Bobtail Member

Mar 20, 2014
    I own a 1999 Freightliner FLD with a Detroit 60 series 12.7 engine. The red shutdown light for the oil and water temp stay on but the truck doesn't die. The water temp gauge is pretty much stuck at its highest as well when this happens. Sometimes as I'm driving down the road it'll all work fine and then suddenly after awhile just come back on again. I've replaced the oil pressure and coolant sensor . Had the light bar tested and checked the fan solenoid and they both came back good I'm pretty much having the same problem as this post Oil Pressure light and High Coolant Temperature Light on with no codes.

I first started having this problem around two months ago. The shutdown lights wouldn't come on unless I put the truck in reverse(I know I know) and as soon as I take it out of reverse it would work just fine. Now they stay on all the time. I recently had a shop check it out and they can't figure it out as well. I'm just trying to see if anyone else has had the same prob. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    I say this again..... I wish that I could work on 99 Freightliners with Series 60 all day, every day. This is simple troubleshooting for a shop with a laptop or even an old prolink. A multimeter would even do. Get to a shop that knows what the hell they are doing. That truck and engine combination has been around for 25 years.........engine harness. More than likely closer to the connector at ECM.

Rideandrepair and Domingo101 Thank this.
  4. CATastrophic

CATastrophic Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2019
    Sounds like you got yourself between a rock and a freightliner, dryva. This what you goin do. Take that son of a mitch on down there to your local freightshaker dealer. When you check that dinosaur in, tell them you want the oldest guy back in the shop to look at it. You want somebody older than that truck to look at it. He probably worked on some fld's quite a bit back when he had dreams and aspirations. His name will be darryl or harvey or something. When you pick that money machine up 3 weeks later, be sure and pick up some lube on the way, and I ain't talking about heavy duty grease. Tissues too. Look for the smallest fellar in there to pay the bill to. He'll take you in the back some place nice and quiet. You'll survive and will regain your pride one mile at a time.

Domingo101 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.