OK experienced drivers, post your most recent rookie mistake!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by PackRatTDI, Dec 13, 2013.

1. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    I'll start. I took a load to Laredo yesterday from our yard. Ran 10 to 285 to 90 with no problems. I usually followed my GPS and took 90 to 277 in Del Rio but this time decided to take that Loop 79 bypass to see how much time it saved. Without thinking I exited at US 90 and started heading towards Uvalde. Loop 79 isn't on my Teletracs maps so my GPS was totally lost with me floating in air lol. It was late, and thought it was odd that the bypass added 15 minutes to the drive. That's when it dawned on me that I was on the wrong road. Took 90 to 83 southing and only added about 15 miles but I sure felt like a dope lol.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    I don't make mistakes. Mistakes are for other people. But if you count locking myself out of my truck when I looked right at my keys and closed the door anyway, that was a fun mistake. Luckily it didnt cost me anything as its not the first time I've done it and instead of having my spare key hanging up (which would be the smart thing to do) I have a clothes hanger and screw driver ok the cat walk. Lol.

Skydivedavec and randal02lee Thank this.
  4. SheepDog

SheepDog Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI
    I have locked my keys in the truck before, thought the wife had hers.. That was fun, cost nothing as I too found a wire hanger. The most rookie thing I have done, well... its on this forum somewhere...lol

5. Lucar

Lucar Road Train Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Texas
    My 1800 mile rookie mistake

I dead headed from keene, ND to houston since weather was getting worst and I thought I would spend less than staying in a hotel for 3 days/food/ truck starting every few hours since temp was -21 and I'd hook a good load out of houston With my ccompany's customers to end up taking a denver load for $3.6k.. now I'm busting head (upper)

Green-eyed Lady and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  6. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    Not being a driver, I was on the passenger side of the truck when we stopped for some reason along the side of a rode. Being ever mindful of the 3 points of contact, I climbed out my side of the truck and on the last step down and put my foot down and let go. I ended up flat on my back, the ground was lower than I thought or else the truck got taller, good thing it was soft dirt. Didn't do that again. ONe of the mysteries of how things happen.

7. Raezzor

Raezzor Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Aug 1, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    I still occasionally run straps outside the rub rail when not paying attention to what I'm doing or in a hurry. Always makes me chuckle. I also popped a kingpin over my 5th wheel a little while ago. That was fun. Luckily the step I was trying to back under was empty. Just put one of the 4x4s at the yard under the landing gear and raised it back up, levelled out the 5th wheel, dropped the air bags and pulled out from under it. Could have been worse. On one load I left a 2 inch strap rolled up on the upper deck of a single drop. It stayed there all the way to the yard luckily enough. Always pays to double check your deck.

NavigatorWife and Skydivedavec Thank this.
  8. Richter

Richter Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    Pulled out from a trailer without insuring landing gear was solid enough (it was down) and dented the cross member of my truck with the king pin that was to low. Haven't repaired it yet, but the labor and metal piece are probably pricy. I see on newer trucks the cross member is lower, so obviously I'm not the only idiot to do this.

Locked myself out of the trucks tons of times, but most recently I locked myself out with the headlights on. Luckily the shipper found a coat hanger and I got in before the batt died.

9. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    I did that on a truck. Had to drop my trailer on a tilting dock and when I pulled away, it had an immediate ramp down and the tail end of my bobtail went up and the kingpin caught that cross beam.

As for locking myself out, Volvo idiot proofed their door locks so I haven't managed to do it yet lol.

10. Nighthawk325

Nighthawk325 Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    High hooked a trailer a few months back. Luckily I already learned my lesson the hard way and caught it before it cleared the 5th wheel.

11. biggare1980

biggare1980 Medium Load Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Springfield, Ohio
    PackRat I still to this day lock my door with my key thanks to Volvo's idiot proof locking system. Before I got the Volvo I drove I had to keep a spare hidden under the hood :/

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.