Ok, get ready to pummel the new guy..

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Greenacres0802, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Greenacres0802

Greenacres0802 Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Wysox, PA
    Been a member of the forum for al few years. Drove OTR for PAM for those of you that dont know the acronym it stands for Possitively A Mistake. Left after a year and have been driving a day cab up here in oil and gas country. Make great money, plus I am getting a well and a pipeline on my property so I will be pretty well off in the near future.:biggrin_2559: Yet I miss being over the road.... Now the fun.... Bought a truck and trailer, got my MC, DOT, ins, working on tax & tag, IFTA, etc... help me oh highway Jedi's, Broker, Message boards, Lease on? Taking my time putting the whole puzzle together dont plan on starting till may.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rocknroll nik

rocknroll nik High Risk Load Member

Oct 18, 2008
    can't read the sign
    The force is strong in you padawan....help you yes the council will.

I would suggest that you look at all the options.....load boards can get frustrating to say the least...hooking up with a broker...kind of like swimming with sharks......leasing on with a company...if you do your homework on the companies available you could do well and get your feet wet without taking a bath, so to speak

I know one guy is doing fairly well with Jones Motor out of PA...so you could look into them. Just a suggestion for ya.

Good luck driver

4. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Ah, we won't pummel you . . . you at least have a couple years under your belt, and have gained some idea of what the industry is all about.

rocknroll nik Thanks this.
  5. Greenacres0802

Greenacres0802 Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Wysox, PA
    Got a taste of OTR and love it, Driven across rice patty separators in Korea, but nothing compares to the ice covered goat paths I have taken a KW T800 with a full water bottle of synthetic drilling mud. NYC runs would be a walk in the park. With the addition of 30 new DOT cops for this county alone... It is time to go out on my own before the CSA kills me. 20+ years not a parking ticket, 1 year doing this with ratty equipment 2 OOS vios.

6. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    Why lease on, then your MC # goes on hold? Get your insurance and keep your authority. That way you aren't at the mercy of any one company.

Diesel Dave and rocknroll nik Thank this.
  7. rocknroll nik

rocknroll nik High Risk Load Member

Oct 18, 2008
    can't read the sign
    OUCH...2 OOS in one year.....dude run away from that outfit

8. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Get yourself some subscriptions to some of the load boards to see what's out there. That will give you a start on what kind of freight and rates are out there and gives you a chance to start planning before getting rolling. Load boards are a good starting point, and as you establish relationships with brokers, you can start working direct with them instead of through the load boards.

From things I have read on here and heard from drivers I know, stay away from CH Robinson, at least until you have yourself established. Keep your safety rating up at a good level, which will help you in the future with getting the better paying loads.

rocknroll nik Thanks this.
  9. whosedog

whosedog Medium Load Member

Mar 18, 2009
    fair lawn nj
    You may be well off when they drill ,but the tradeoff is your aquifer will be full of chemicals used in the fracking process;and your polluted property will be unsaleable.The only thing your well water will good for will be flushing the toilet,hey you might even get to light your tap water on fire like in the documentary about fracking "Gasland"If you haven't seen it please see it before you sign any contracts with the drillers.If you can't stop the drillers with class action lawsuits I would sell my land and get out of there,before they ruin it and it's unsaleable.Good luck!

10. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.
    ITs all about money in the bank. Save save save for that big break down. Keep your butt in the drivers seat, and the rest will work itself out.

11. Kittyfoot

Kittyfoot Crusty Ancient

Sep 21, 2009
    Sorrento, Louisiana
    Hey now, y'all may be missing sumpin here. Imagine being able to fuel your truck from the kitchen sink. Imagine the fun with the fuel tax guys..... "I don't pay fuel tax 'cause I burn tap water". The possibilities are amazing.:biggrin_2554::biggrin_25523::biggrin_25519:

josh.c Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.