Ok I'll ask what has E-Logs got to do with

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Okieron, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Tazz

Tazz Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Lynchburg,Tn
    OK. How are they different?

No emotional bs, or tin foil about government watch dogs(come now every #### law on our roads comes from the government so either we have laws or not)

How specifically does an ELOG differ from all the information on a paper one?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ronin

ronin Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have a question, and I'd like as many people to answer as would like to, but especially Tazz.

Let's say you're on paper logs, you just fueled at Pilot, exit 96, Greenfield, IN, logged your 15 minute fuel stop, and headed west towards Indianapolis. You plan on stopping for the night in Effingham, IL.

You're cruising along at 65 mph, coming into Indy, when (as usual in the late afternoon), some 4-wheeler moron cut off another 4-wheeler moron and traffic slows to 10 mph.. creeping along in 2nd and 3rd gears.

It takes you a full 2 hours to get to exit 59 (the T/A) where you need a potty break, so you stop and want to catch up your log before exiting Indiana and entering Illinois.

It has now been 2.5 hours since you left Greenfield. How do you log it?

4. Tazz

Tazz Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Lynchburg,Tn
    Uhm with a pen.

Sorry been a rough week. I had to make myself chuckle.

Like it happened and using the adverse conditions reg to drive beyond 11 if needed for delivery. Or cut through the woods as I am want to do and be nowhere near Indy. Probably takes me just as long to get there as others I just do not like playing bumper cars on the super slab.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  5. ronin

ronin Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    I didn't say anything about your 14, don't add a bunch of BS to add to the smoke and mirrors. How would you log that 2.5 hours? You have a Pilot G2 7mm black pen, and company logs, printed by JJ Keller. Anymore nonsense?

What about that 2.5 hours?

6. Tazz

Tazz Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Lynchburg,Tn
    Like it happened.

7. ronin

ronin Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    So, driving 37 miles over 2.5 miles, you'd log 2.5 hours?

8. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    We all know the pat answer is to say log it all on the drive line.

However. In stop-and-go traffic, even with e-logs, it is possible to log it as off duty. I know. I've done it without using "Line 5 Off-Duty Drive." On paper? I personally would take a break in Indy.

25(2)+2 and BigJohn54 Thank this.
  9. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    There is no adverse conditions clause for logging driving after 14 hours on duty.

I have had this discussion many times with dispatch/safety.
    You should have planned on it and stopped before entering the city at that time of day.

Of course, then you would not get as far as you planned on originally and your delivery might be late if you were that tight for time on the run.

Split breaking can help you get around some of the rush hour stuff as well as lengthy times at the dock. It would be nicer if there was some added flexibility, and that might make the recording devices more acceptable.

Injun and BigJohn54 Thank this.
  10. Tazz

Tazz Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Lynchburg,Tn
    Today I drove 633 miles in 10:56.

Thats Knoxville to Memphis to Monroe. Now sure I could lie and change that to read 629 in 10 hours (all we can "legally" average) and no one but me would be any wiser. But I would know at that is all that matters.

11. ronin

ronin Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    I'll cut the suspense. If he really says he'd log 2.5 hours when you have the choice to write in some off-duty or sleeper time and only log 30 or 45 minutes driving... you're either an idiot or a liar... and no matter whether an idiot or a liar, you're also a fool. A fool with at least 2 hours less in your work week.

On e-logs, if I hit traffic like that, I'd (and I have done it) take an off-ramp, fire up the laptop, catch up on my reading until traffic starts flowing better, then roll out. Why burn that time??

Injun and BigJohn54 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.