Ok so I'm confused about the new mandate.

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by BJnobear, Apr 29, 2019.

1. BJnobear

BJnobear Heavy Load Member

Aug 24, 2010
    PCB, FL
    I was thinking about returning to the road this summer as a full O/O again and have questions about the new logging mandate. Been off the big roads for over two years, and now I understand there is a whole new level of stupid out there. So here they are.

1. Device or App?
    2. Are there any all in one solutions, i.e. Logging, compliance, routing, fuel, taxes, ect.?
    3. What happens if you get stalled at a delivery or pickup and get kicked out after you 14 has run out?
    4. Has Safe Haven been extended to non-HAZMAT?
    5. Operationally, how has the mandate affected getting recompense form companies that grossly delay you?
    6. Any other thoughts?

I have read a lot of threads that end up in a rantfest about the unfairness of this mandate. Can ya'll just help me with facts and not opinion that descends into anti-regulatory rants?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    1. A device that plugs into the ecm, usually via the diag port. The app is what the driver uses to talk to the device.
    2. Yes, but as I'm not an expert I'll lets others answer fully.
    3. HOS have not changed, although there is pc to help here.
    4. Safe haven has to be the most misused term in the industry. Still only applies to certain types of hazmat
    5. No difference really. It's up to the carrier to make contracts to benefit the carrier.

roshea and homeskillet Thank this.
  4. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    I can answer #2 & #3

Multiple devices are full featured. We run the Rand McNally TND 765. Complete standalone device, can do IFTA, has RM Truck GPS built in, full fleet monitoring features.

The latest guidance from FMCSA allows you to travel to safe parking if detained past your 14 and asked to leave the premises, using personal conveyance

5. TigerShark

TigerShark Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2015
    Or you can just leave your device unplugged edit all your logs and keep driving.....

#3....I use Personal Convey anytime my 14 runs out and I need to get parked or out of a dock or whatever. It's not 100 % legal but its better than a violation I guess. Who knows the bottom line is no matter what port you get pulled into each "officer" will have their own personal take on each law....do what you gotta do.

6. OT John

OT John Bobtail Member

May 6, 2019
    This is terrible advice.
    under ELD, this will show up in various ways, the biggest is what is called an odometer jump. If you want a very thorough audit, go ahead and do this. Otherwise, you can use PC and get to where you can take your 10.

You will need a device to connect to the ECM, and some sort of display.

If you look at my name, I will say Omnitracs for a one stop shop.

Delays are now handled very well IF your rate agreement is done right, rather in your favor. I would include rates fro more than 2 hour delays, and if delayed, a per day additional charge on the rate.
    I have customers I have setup using geofences that record how long a truck was there for any disputes.

Most of the customers I deal with have seen a rough 25% increase in revenue.

Charlie Best and roshea Thank this.
  7. CousinVinny

CousinVinny Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2015
    New Jersey
    1. Always will have a device that interfaces with the truck. May have an app for your smart device or a standalone unit mounted in-cab.
    2. Yes there are both stripped down and full-featured solutions on the market.
    3. Personal Conveyance rules have been clarified allowing for loaded trucks to get to the nearest safe place to park and go off duty. Same goes for an officer telling you you have to move.
    4. Not that I am aware of.
    5. I have not heard of anyone receiving extra compensation for detention post-ELD mandate.
    6. If you can operate a smartphone, you can operate an ELD.

8. deathB4decaf

deathB4decaf Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2018
    As for #2, we use VDO Roadlog, all in one and is GREAT!

9. BJnobear

Aug 24, 2010
    PCB, FL
    Thanks for the information, am glad to see PC got clarified. I was hoping to find a solution that I could run on a desktop I would have in the truck, that would also interface with a TND. Luckily I have time to find one before I get a truck.

10. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    If you are going to stay with a Rand TND capable of ELD interface, then you would need to use one of their ELD's. You can administer the account with your desktop and use the ELD portion in day-to-day driving from a compatible TND. Their device choices are here: Rand McNally | Electronic logging devices for commercial drivers

11. BJnobear

Aug 24, 2010
    PCB, FL
    I hope to find one that is PC compatible, with a hardwired datalink to the truck. The GPS would just be a standalone, the desktop/rackmount PC would do all the other stuff including truck diagnostics.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.