old 98 Western star gauge , High idle , issues

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by hadco services, Oct 14, 2018.

1. hadco services

hadco services Bobtail Member

Oct 14, 2018
    Hello I have a 98 Western Star that started acting weird. The volt gauge is goofy. The high idle does not work at all. Oil pressure gauge just maxes out and stays there. and now the truck will not air up properly.
    We have changed ecc already. and have been going through all wiring for three days now with no luck. any info would be much apprieciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. I glide 47

I glide 47 Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Check all grounds. Air problems might be the governor. Good luck

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Let's look at the most outrageous problem.

No air feeding into Primary and Secondary Air tanks.

Open hood find compressor. With engine running, Put a pencil in your hand and gently hold the point to the compressor case. You should feel the internal pistons working regularly.

Find the output air supply line from that Compressor towards the firewall. Very carefully get a finger near it (Don't touch) and see if you can tell there is heat on that armored pipe. If there is that means air is being supplied. If it's stone cold, no air at all.

Check your wet tank, dry tank drain ####valves. Make sure they are closed and not damaged.

Get back up there at high idle and see if you build air with parking brakes set.

If you DO NOT build air, you are OOS. If not also in fact when your spring brakes engage on you. Tow truck time.

5. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    CK the bottom of air dryer to see if air is leaking out if not then Buy a new not rebuilt air gov. put it on and watch it build up to 110lbs

6. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    First check and see if your brakes will release, iirc even the air gauge is electric, so you may have air it just does not show it. If not loosen the two bolts on the governor enough the gasket will leak, compressor should build air if the governor is bad. If it pumps air and still doesn't build pressure you have a major leak. Usually I have found if it leaks bad enough to not build any air and you can not hear it, it will be in the main line before it goes to any tank.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.