Old Ancient Truck Stop in Manhattan

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Odin1964, Aug 3, 2019.

1. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    If memory serves, it was on the Jersey side, not too far from the Holland tunnel on 1/9.

FlaSwampRat and x1Heavy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    MACK E-6 and Ruthless Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Jersey City 15C off turnpike comes to mind as a old truckstop. Not worthy of the name. The mens room is no uranals or toilets, just third world holes in the floor and walls. No stalls either sinks gone.

We banded together as a group before walking to and from the lot.

Never at night and parking is real particular, ramming your trailer into the corner three stacked containers is best. Then stand to in the drivers seat until morning.

FlaSwampRat, just_sayin and lilillill Thank this.
  5. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

Never heard of any thing like it outside of a movie.

5 acres in Manhattan... even in Harlem that’d be millions of dollars in real estate.

booley, wore out, IH Truck Guy and 6 others Thank this.
  6. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Must of been just outside Manhattan somewhere.......

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  7. just_sayin

just_sayin Light Load Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Bristol baby
    Like I said the only one I remember was in Long Island City. And I think there was some kind of rinky-dink parking area out in Lake Ronkonkoma but that wouldn't be it either. Beats me LOL,some things are better left forgotten. I do remember going to Hunts Point before they fenced it all in that was a real circus.

x1Heavy and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  8. Odin1964

Odin1964 Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2019
    If You Guys could Give Me Exact Locations of where these places are/were, I could Google Earth Them & say Yay or Nay. I know I said 5 Acres, but it might have been less. "Give Me 40 Acres & I'll Turn This Rig Around" is sometimes true. LOL - THIS "Truck Stop" was literally in a Neighborhood. It existed just because it was there. There was enough room to Drive In, Pull Up to The Left & Back In to a Spot beside The Truck that was already there. You Might could have gotten 20 Trucks with Trailers inside the fence on the entire property.

9. Odin1964

Odin1964 Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Hey, I Remember going through The Holland Tunnel with another Trucker in another Truck & We Both Blared Our Horns through the entire length of The Tunnel. At the other end, The "Guards" were NOT Happy. Did I really drive under a River?

FlaSwampRat and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. Odin1964

Odin1964 Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2019
    If I could find My Old Road Atlas, I could locate The Old Truck Stop that I'm talking about & maybe even The Produce Market as well.

11. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    I don’t think there has ever been an actual truck stop in Manhattan, although there are some vacant lots along the west side on 9A up in the 30’s near Javits Center that have a bunch of trailers parked in them that could be used for overnight truck parking. I used to see a few trucks that would shut down for the night along west side hwy I am assuming were waiting to get into Javits Center in the morning since I am pretty sure they don’t allow overnight parking on their property. Always thought that took some serious balls to try that. Smart idea though rolling in there late at night.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.