Old Dominion Freight Line - Top Notch Trucking Company

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by 2BucTruck, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Naptown

Naptown Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I see you're in PA. You don't go to Columbus, do you? That would be right about 360 if you leave from Pittsburgh. Just curious because I go past the OD terminal in Columbus every night and relay with a guy coming from Ambridge.

Shaggy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 2BucTruck

2BucTruck Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    Nope, I'm from the East of PA. I go into New Jersey. Who are you working for Naptown?

4. Jumbo

Jumbo Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    You mean that you actually want to tell the people on this forum that you don't have to go to some mega starter company with great wages and benefits? You just proved all these blowhard naysayers spouting their "You gotta go over the road and get some experience before you can get a really good job bs" wrong. Congratulations to you for showing that it can be done. I get so #### tired of these boo hoo "trucking sucks" "There are no good jobs left in trucking" crybabies and it a breath of fresh air to see a go getter such as yourself succeed, and get paid good money as company driver.

5. Brandson

Brandson Medium Load Member

Dec 14, 2013
    It's not that you CAN'T get a good company right away, it's that it's not guaranteed. OP admits that he feels lucky to be in there right out of school, which he is. I live in Syracuse, NY, decent size town. The OD terminal here has less than 20 drivers, even with experience I'm gonna need luck and patience if I want a position there. Not everyone can just go to OD and get a job with no experience, same with any LTL job or the like. Right time, right place. You can't bank on that when deciding whether or not to get your CDL.

6. Jumbo

Jumbo Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    I didn't say it was easy, I said it can be done. Maybe not at the terminal you are near, but right now someone is following this thread and they are looking at the terminal they might be near or even a different ltl carrier near them. A lot of people think they can get the job they want by sitting on the internet and filing out applications, sometimes you have to get out and pound the pavement and shake some hands. The job I have now I had to fill out a 7 page application and go through two interviews, the second was 200 miles round trip from home. The job I had before that I hand delivered my application 180 miles away on my day off so they would remember me. Was it easy? No, but it has been worth it.

7. Naptown

Naptown Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I work for Ruan Logistics on their O'Neal account at the moment. Not a bad place to work, all things considered, but there's enough silliness that I've decided it's time to move on.

8. Brandson

Brandson Medium Load Member

Dec 14, 2013
    It can be done, but telling guys considering getting their cdl, pounding pavement will get them a better job, and not mentioning it still leaves a slim chance, I don't agree with. Some guys are gonna be stuck with a mega OTR company for a while.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  9. TruckDuo

TruckDuo Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Just gotta put in an application everywhere and keep calling them.

10. 2BucTruck

2BucTruck Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    Little update to this thread, since there's no reason to start another. I gotta give props to my linehaul manager. I've been having some issues with sleeping and running my night shift linehaul gig - had to call off a few times in the past 6 months due to not being able to sleep. He's been totally understanding and supportive of what it's like to run nights. This man preaches safety, and backs it up.

Funny how I've seen it written that ODFL is a stickler on rules, that you almost have to be looking over your shoulder so you don't get canned. I've had the exact opposite experience. My linehaul manager only solidified that. Rollbacks, rollovers, rear ends, pulling a trailer from a door that has somebody in it, these are automatic terminations. Outside of the no-brainers, this company will nurture its drivers and work with them.

Every terminal has its own culture, established by management and the drivers. But, every ODFL driver I've met (save for maybe one) has been helpful and kind - there is a brotherhood. The management at my terminal is outstanding. I can't say enough about this company. They preach family and back it up. There's no reason for me to have to look for another trucking company, God willing, I'll be one and done. I love me some green ODFL kool-aid!

11. DapperDan76

DapperDan76 Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2015
    Newark, NJ
    Hi Wawtrucker - might I ask if you're familiar with the terminal in Jersey City? I've been asking them about openings, they tell me to keep asking because they might be ready to take an application soon. I'm looking at LTL jobs, and from what I've read on here ODFL is the nicest of them to work for. I also notice that their equipment looks well maintained, and shippers say they are a nice company to deal with. I'd be doing local P&D. If you know any of the guys over there, do they like working out of that terminal?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.