Old Dominion Freight Lines - Thomasville, N.C.

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by smurf-316, Oct 5, 2006.

1. smurf-316

smurf-316 Resident Nut Case

Oct 4, 2006
    North Carolina

Unless it's a d.u.i or a drug charge you don't have anything to worry about.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bobbyw

bobbyw Light Load Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Orlando Florida
    thanks smurf ,it was the later ,got hired on by a small company 80 trucks ,so I am in the door after 3 months of driving school,which is a good start for a newbie ,ODFL seems like a cream of the crop company,so I guess I will just stay in today ,today

4. smurf-316

Oct 4, 2006
    North Carolina

best of luck to you in your new career!!
    there will be bad days out there but just grin and bare it and you'll be fine. :occasion5:

5. stinkyfinger

stinkyfinger Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2007
    I'm REALLY curious bout this one. Private room at the terminal? Give us details about this. Ain't it noisy? What about linens? One bed to a room? Any wake up calls?I would love to see pics (REAL PICS) of one. They got carpet? TV? How many rooms? Sorry for all the ?'s but you can't learn unless you ask.

6. smurf-316

Oct 4, 2006
    North Carolina
    the bottom line is it's alot better than sleeping in the truck!! the rooms are small about 10x12 but it's alot bigger than the cab of a truck.

7. Smurf,
    I have a couple questions for you. I didn’t see the answers on the website. Do they let you take the truck home? Do they have a limit to how far from the terminal you can live?

Thanks

8. cmrhine

cmrhine Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Watch yourself with this company. I was with them for almost 9 yrs, perfect safety record no tickets or accidents, even received a million mile safety award. Last week I was turning left from a complete stop at a stop sign and the pintle hook on the lead trailers broke causing my pups to seperate-the rear trailer and dolly ended up on its right side. The Kansas DOT officer that investigated the accident concluded mechanical failure no tickets issued to me the driver or the company. The company accident review board ruled this was DRIVER PREVENTABLE WITH TERMINATION!! Just thought this little bit of information needed to be public

9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    You say you were turning left from a complete stop, so you couldn't have been going too awful fast when this happened. Now, assuming you were going slow, how did your back trailer still end up on its right side? If anything when the safety chains catch it would still pull it to the left, in the direction you are traveling.

10. cmrhine

cmrhine Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2007
    yes, i was only going around 3-5mph making my left turn and they safety chain broke the safety bar it was hooked to when it went over. when the rear trailer came to rest upon it;s right side the gear(dolly) was still attached to the rear trailer albet on it's right side. The pintle hook was it the locked down position-just broken and the saftey chain was still hooked into place just not hooked around anything anymore.

11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    But something is just not adding up here. Could it be possible you had the trailers backwards? I just don't see how your back trailer could end up laid over on its right side while turning left at a crawl pace.

I just cannot in all good conscience commence bashing Old Dominion based on what was offered so far.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.