Old Dominion P&D

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by LTLdreamin, Sep 8, 2020.

1. LTLdreamin

LTLdreamin Light Load Member

Sep 8, 2020
    Hello all, does anyone know what Old Dominion starts out the P&D drivers, in the northeast?

jamespmack Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Danny707

Danny707 Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2019
    Would be a nice gig if they paid OT after 40 hrs at least.

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    If they did, you can bet they’d pull every string in the book to make sure you didn’t get any.

5. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Bingo. Outfits that pay O/T after 8/40 hours are militant about getting you off the clock by the end of your 8th hour. It's great to pull more than $30 an hour, but if you're finishing your time card at the end of the week with 39.75 hours, the guy at Saia pulling 45 hours at the same rate made more than you, the guy at OD pulling 50 made more than you, the guy at Central Transport pulling 60 made more than you etc.

I don't know where/when it happened, but somewhere along the way I developed the mentality that M-F my ### belongs to the company, so I want to maximize my income for the time spent there.

Let me guess, you're looking at the Old Dominion position in PVD.

Danny707, Texas_hwy_287 and LTLdreamin Thank this.
  6. LTLdreamin

LTLdreamin Light Load Member

Sep 8, 2020
    I have an interview at JCY tomorrow. Does every LTL carrier have a phase where they do lay offs when it's slow?

McUzi Thanks this.
  7. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    OD has a tendency to over hire and they laid you off when freight slows down. Also the slow months are October thru March then again it all depends on the region and other factors.

Good luck at your interview.

Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  8. Danny707

Mar 26, 2019
    True , they are known as a great LTL company sucks they do that. It was the same when I was government contractor as a Boilermaker at $58hr no OT as a Carpenter $36hr no OT, OT was super hard to come by unless the Military was pushing to get a job done especially on those pay scales =/

austinmike Thanks this.
  9. Danny707

Mar 26, 2019
    Yea that’s true after talking to my friend who’s a seniority driver at FXF P&D side and other hourly paid truck drivers. I don’t mind the flat rate I’m given at my company for the new account they put me on. It’s top pay a day to shuttle dryvan, port containers and intermodal filled with Amazon products that go from the DC to the drop lot that’s 9 miles away, it’s 10 hr days M-F weekends off. It’s one of the reasons why stayed with them and not go to a LTL carrier thats currently hiring , it’s gonna take some years to get up to top rate LTL side and also get OT even if they start me out at $22hr, but of course my mind set has always been going local O/O once this COVID 19 bs goes away and doesn’t slow freight down. Out here in Hampton Roads, Virginia hourly local companies with good pay and OT are hard to come by it’s mostly a heavy O/O freight area with lots of port and intermodal trailers that come in and out.

10. Digman943

Digman943 Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2016
    Troll here. But I’d be OK with 58 an hour for a 40 hour week. Just sayin...

Cardfan89, jmz, McUzi and 1 other person Thank this.
  11. Danny707

Mar 26, 2019
    Lol the thing is I’d mostly do carpenter work , senior workers always got the better paying gig even tho I had 11 years in with my old company.

Digman943 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.