Old guy gets a job in this recession!!!

Discussion in 'Trucking Jobs' started by boobear, Jul 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MiDnItEbUg

MiDnItEbUg Light Load Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I'll tell the story often of meeting a 70 y/o gent who was a recently retired freight slinger from a railroad outfit up north somewhere, he was tall and broad shouldered and hardly an ouce of fat on the guy. He had fists the size of hams and we all refered to him as Irish Phill. Little did we know, Phill use to be a prizefighter up in New York back in the bad old days when a guy could make a buck on the street. Back in my REALLY stupid days I did a little police work and we had to take in Ole' Phill for a hospital forced admission to do a welfare check of him. I was around 26 at the time, and my two partners were young and large chaps around 6'2" and brawny, you know the types. Before we uttered the words "Phill, we gota go see the nice nurses at the hospital..." He was scowling at us. With nothing more than "nope" out of Phill he ####ed back in his stance and quickly knocked out one of my partners with a single right hook, cold on the ground! We got lucky and bum rushed him and took him to the ground without injury to any of us. Grabbing Phill on the arm was not like grabbing any 70 y/o you've ever delt with, he had all the solidness and muscularity of the average 30 y/o and could probably put most of them to shame. RESPECT your elders folks, and not just because they're infinately smarter and more level headed than you...alot, if not most...can give you a run for your money, and probably even take it! I can't understand the mentality of a company that thinks 50 is old! I know they never came face to face with Phill the pugilist or they would be having second thoughts. Most of the time we wonder if they've had first thoughts. Red Fox would be the last guy I would jump on, and I consider myself to be pretty handy in a scuff. You gota imagine a guy with twice your experience and twice as strong is going to show you what a bad day is in a physical disagreement. I wish yall the best in driving, anyone would be luckly to have you guys.:yes2557:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. halfburn

halfburn Medium Load Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Jasper AL
    Think outside the box. The kind of job you want is not going to be advertising. Going in in person helps a lot. And the drivers with a good job won't be talking about it so unless you know someone it's a shot in the dark. Hiriing for the part time gig is going to be fall and for full time spring. When you spot a truck write the name down and search the FMCSA website for the address.,

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
    Red Fox and MiDnItEbUg Thank this.
  4. Hogster

Hogster Light Load Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Oceanside, California
    Thanks for the link was just the kind of thing I was lookin for.

5. barrier12

barrier12 Light Load Member

Apr 3, 2009
    USA
    You are welcome Hogster,

Try use advanced search there, it may be useful.

6. boobear

boobear Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Southern Colorado
  7. barrier12

Apr 3, 2009
    USA
    You are welcome Boobear,

Another good option, put info you are looking for a job on craigslist's resume section(at the bottom of the screen) in your area. It does not need to be resume, just put that you are driver, mechanic or whatever. Do not leave your address, e-mail or phone numbers, use option generic e-mail through craigslist. If you are looking for part time, mention it as well. Make sure put everything potentially interesting to Employers(doubles/triples, HazMat, TWIC, tank...)

You are going to see about dozen e-mails(spam/fraud), they may look like tis:"Hi, are you still looking for a job?" or "My friend lost his job and found this work from home site..." Just delete them. They usually come from gmail. Craigslist working on this issue I think, they are trying to cut those e-mails.

Normal e-mails looks... normal, you'll see it. I hope it will get better, so good luck to all of us.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  8. Red Fox

Red Fox Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Acworth, Ga.
    Craigslist brought me more spammers than ever. Some day I'm gonna get an opportunity to punch one in the face. They can get real tricky; mimicking real mail.

9. barrier12

Apr 3, 2009
    USA
    Just do not reply to those funny ones, especially with links provided("You need to register..." or "Check your credit score(translation:give us your SSN and other info) here...")

Craigslist is popular site, so there is down side.

10. boobear

boobear Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Southern Colorado
    I don't have any problem with putting an email address anywhere on the web. I have several domains registered to me so I can just put up a "short term" email account. Then when the spammers get to bad, I just delete the account and let everything "bounce".

Boobear

11. barrier12

Apr 3, 2009
    USA
    Either way will work. Craigslist generic e-mail addresses require no activity from you, they'll be open when you put your ad and closed(cancelled) when your ad expire(30 days for resumes).

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.