Old School Truckers

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Jackofalltrades1977, May 8, 2012.

1. Jackofalltrades1977

Jackofalltrades1977 Light Load Member

Mar 8, 2012
    Salisbury, NC
    Those of you who traversed the highways and interstates before a lot of today's comforts have the utmost of my respect. I can't imagine doing this without my GPS, smart phone, APU, inverter, microwave, air ride suspension, power steering, power brakes, etc.

Without being able to video chat with my son on breaks there's no way I could stay out here and do this.

Thanks for paving the way, you're a tough, dedicated breed in my book.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    No power steering, very few 4 lane roads, no hill/grade cut-outs, no bypasses, maybe could average 40 MPH on any trip long or short, poor headlights, very little torque or power, most pu and del locations were right inside the city areas . Glad I wasn't there but I'm sure those who were think back fondly to those times where a man truly worked for a living.

4. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    We had respect,not much traffic and mom/pop grease spoons. It was a good life and a good job back then. I do like the 625HP twin turbo CAT motors though.

5. EZ Money

EZ Money Road Train Member

Agree with that man!
    None of the BS at the truck stops like we have today either...

Driving those mid 60's and 70's era trucks was hard on the body too..
    It was around 1990 when i got my first truck with AC in it.

My first cell phone was one of those big bag phones that were insanely expensive to use.

6. Logan76

Logan76 Crusty In Training

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    Big kitty cats but a mack in your signature? whew someone cant make up their mind. haha

D.Tibbitt and Intothesunset Thank this.
  7. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    Took me about 6 months to finally stand up in my 1st condo! Heck I was spoiled with the big bunk and some floor I had in the truck before that. Never did like getting dressed laying down.

8. me only

me only Medium Load Member

Nov 9, 2011
    buford ga
    heck i remember spring ride drivers seat .no air ride seat back in the day .

Giggles the Original and Wargames Thank this.
  9. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    Slamming your heel down on the isolator switch on the seat! Yeah spring ride was so sweet until I sat in my first air ride! Talk about getting spoiled real fast!

The sound of air powered wipers and the air pressure getting low when they were on high!

Hey whats wrong with getting dressed laying down! I'm lazy anyway!

Ggoing to sleep with the AC on and then the out side temperature dropping and you wake up with icicles hanging off the sleeper!

The same with the heater! That sun comes up and you lose weight sleeping but swimming in a puddle of sweat!

OTR in a day cab! Pull out the 1x12 and lay it across the seat and you have an instant bed!

The list goes on!

10. fireba11

fireba11 Heavy Load Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Tracy City, TN
    Trucking used to be fun.....driver to dispatch....u want me to call back in 1/2 hour.....If I can find a phone!

DaD started driving in 1950....said they used to hang a hammock beneath the trailer in the summer months....thats real dedications!

11. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    That was real life before sleepers became a good thing even though they were already on some brands of trucks prior to the 50's! But some guys just could not fit into a 24"x24" or a 3x3 hole!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.