Old School Trucking..

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by SlowNSteady1986, Sep 20, 2023.

1. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    You can leave REO. It's father time I have the issue with ..lol

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ex-Trucker Alex

Ex-Trucker Alex Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2023
    I'm sure a LOT of that is from mega-carriers hiring people who 'wash-out' of the business in less than a year...

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  4. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    I sincerely doubt that the 'wash out' rate is substantially different today than it was then.

Cattleman84, Last Call and Oxbow Thank this.
  5. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    I'm not so sure.

There were no CDL mills. New drivers were trained on-the-job. I don't recall the turnover being nearly as high then, but there weren't nearly as many trucks either, so I don't know.

6. Ex-Trucker Alex

Ex-Trucker Alex Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2023
    Oh, I'm sure it is. "Back in the day", even mega-carriers wouldn't hire somebody if they doubted their abilities. Today, I guess they'll hire anybody with a pulse. For example; Western Express., Swift, C.R. England.......

7. Last Call

Mar 15, 2021
    I remember in the 80's CR England being 1 of the Premier reefer companies that had good drivers .. not the sad sack of crap it is today
    @Oxbow is correct there wasn't a CDL school on every corner turning out steering wheel holders like an assembly line
    Use to be it was the School of Hard Knocks that most drivers attended..
    Of coase the industry wasn't full of a bunch of Sallys like today
    It was easy to spot the ones that couldn't cut it back then you would find them curled up in the fetal position sucking their thumb in the driver's lounge of the truck stop needing a ride home or they were on the pay phone with tears in their eyes asking their wife to pawn off some jewelry so she could wire them money for ticket to ride the grey dog home
    Their easy to spot on TTR too ..

Bud A., Sons Hero, wore out and 7 others Thank this.
  8. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    I remember CR an England running Classic XL and W900’s with 13 speeds and chicken lights and usually drivers took pride in the ride. Jeez how far they have slid,

MACK E-6, W923, Rideandrepair and 4 others Thank this.
  9. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Hahahaha

10. Last Call

Mar 15, 2021
    Well they are .. pretty easily too
    Its easy .. they're just tryping it on here instead of sniveling about it in a ph call .. like I used to hear
    I will give them credit it they were great motivational speakers. It used to be the pay phones were lined up on a wall in the truck stops usually in the hallway on the way to the bathrooms & showers.. everytime I had to either shower or call in to the office & I heard the sob story they were cry'n .. it motived me even more not to ever be like them no matter how S##### my day was ..

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2023
    wore out, Rideandrepair, Oxbow and 3 others Thank this.
  11. Last Call

Mar 15, 2021
    I remember seening my 1st T600 with my own eyes it was a CR England truck all shinny with S/S doors on the back of their wagon and the drivers having class
    Now look at them

MACK E-6, W923, Rideandrepair and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.