Old Style 3 line Vickers PS system

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Hogleg, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Hogleg

Hogleg Medium Load Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Salem, Illinois
    Changing out a PS reservoir on a 3 line system with a vickers pump (prob a V20). On a 78 Pete. The old fluid is black and has the smell of hydraulic fluid, not motor oil. No hint of red so do not think it is ATF. Would AW 46 be an appropriate fluid to replace? We use that in the wet kit. I plan to cycle the system to flush it once I get it back together. Just don't want to cause seal problems on the old girl.

To flush it should I leave the line from the steering box back to the pump loose or use the bypass hose?

John

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I was thinking motor oil was what actually went in those. Or at least let me say I have always used motor oil in mine

SAR, Hogleg and OLDSKOOLERnWV Thank this.
  4. Hogleg

Hogleg Medium Load Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Salem, Illinois
    Good old 30 WT or 15/40?

5. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Goes by the steering box. Sheppard recommended 15W 40. Ross and and TRW recommended ATF. Name will be cast in the box. Have seen both fluids used in all three with no problem.
    From the return line because the by-pass only opens when maximum pressure is reached. I like to do that with short bursts from the starter while adding fluid. Engine disabled, axle jacked up while rotating the wheel from lock to lock.

SAR Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.