Old truck for new O/O

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by kros, Feb 5, 2023.

1. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    There ya go! Good news.
    It is so outlandish, there are guys out there that expect to spend the amount of a new car and buy a commercial vehicle and expect to be second to none out there serving their customers.

The plan is not about how you can get a quick buck and go broke 5 years later. The plan is to provide your customers with quality transport of their goods so they can prosper. In turn, so will you.

To the op: don’t just have a plan on how the get your foot in the door with equipment, have a plan on how to make your customers want your service vs. all the other trucks on the road. Those that grasp that concept, thrive while others come here and cry. @Ruthless @Midwest Trucker Why do their customers hire these two? Is it just about the cost or is it also something else?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    Siinman, gokiddogo, ducnut and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NYStarcar

NYStarcar Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2020
    In a van down by the river
    Are you planning on getting your own authority or are you planning on leasing to a company?

4. kros

kros Light Load Member

Feb 4, 2023
    Indiana
    Thank you for asking!
    Getting own authority. My sister's working as a dispatcher for a couple years now, so I'll hire her.

5. NYStarcar

NYStarcar Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2020
    In a van down by the river
    OK, then that frees up your choices a bit more. If you can do basic repairs like shocks, airlines , fittings and some wiring work, I would say get a pre emissions truck but check it out carefully before you commit.

onetime42 and kros Thank this.
  6. rch10007

rch10007 Medium Load Member

May 26, 2007
    Madison, AL
    I would HIGHLY recommend you find a company to lease onto BEFORE buying anything. Seriously, call all the big guys and ask them how they can help you and tell them you have $50k to invest. Keep records of your conversations and then think about what you've learned. What trailers will they put on you? What dedicated customer can they put you on? What options do they have available to you right now? Fuel discounts? Insurance? Compliance reqs? Shops to work on your equipment? Hourly rates charged?

You could buy a new truck, lease on as an O/O, hire another driver to team with you, and stack $$ over the next 4 years and wear that truck out. Sell it and then purchase an old W900 or 379 and completely rebuild it and then get your own numbers.

kros Thanks this.
  7. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Buy a pre emissions truck for cash and fix it up.

kros Thanks this.
  8. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Get a quote on comp insurance on a new truck and a $20 old truck. Probably $800 a month difference.

kros Thanks this.
  9. kros

kros Light Load Member

Feb 4, 2023
    Indiana
    no thaaaat much if you compare with new drivers who have 6-12 months of experience.

Siinman Thanks this.
  10. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Insurance wise, with my old cheap freightliner I was paying about 12,000, when I bought my pete it went up to about 18,000

Freightliner value at the time was I think 20,000 - peterbilt 160,000

All cdn$

11. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    MY 2014 VS MY 2023 was a little less than $100 a month more for the 23.

ducnut Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.