Old Trucks

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by farmerjohn64, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Shawn2130

Shawn2130 Heavy Load Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Ontario
    I drive a 1998 Ford. ;)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Shawn2130

Shawn2130 Heavy Load Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Ontario
    I’ve often wondered just how good those newer aero trucks really are for fuel economy.

A trucker buddy of mine worked for a company that decided a couple years ago to start going all aero trucks for the better fuel economy.

They had some 2007 and older Pete 379’s still going at the time.

My friend drove one with the 475 ISX Cummins.

His boss told him time’s are changing and we need to get trucks with better fuel economy. So the 379 has to go.

The company keeps fuel economy records of all the trucks and posts them on the board every 2 months I think for all the drivers to see.

At the top is the best economy numbers...

My friend’s 379 was #2 with 8.2 mpg while the 2016 or something freightliner aero truck which was #1 at 8.4

Really depends on the driver and the setup of the truck.

I’m averaging 6 mpg with a heavy haul truck, 4.11 gears, 475 E model cat and local driving.

SmallPackage and Rubber duck kw Thank this.
  4. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    One thing I will say about KW, we have no problem getting parts for them for anything as far back as our 76, Pete although they laugh when we call, cam still get 378/379 parts, our LTLs is a bit more tricky and usually takes an extra day but we can find them, you get a few years of low maintenance on a new truck, but about the time it’s paid off Is about the time you start having to throw money at it. I’ve spent a lot of time in trucks over the years, and while I may not make the most with what I currently do I do it in about 1500 miles a week, I have zero interest in running 100k a year, letting a paid for truck sit a few days will hurt a lot less with no payment, no fuel, and no wear and tear.

as for fuel on the highway I can get about 6 in my w9 without really trying, I keep track of it (because you have to) but it’s a low priority to worry about since it’s a tax write off anyways. When I ran the truck local I was getting 3-3.5 for the length of the job, but it paid hourly, and I was doing less then 50 miles a night, 28 of which were back and forth to the yard.

there really is no one size fits all in the industry and you have to figure out what works for you

Coffey Thanks this.
  5. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Try going to a Pete house with a truck older than ‘80 that has a 5 or 6 digit S.O. Number. There were no VIN’s back then and they are lost without the microfiche.
    “What’s the vin?
    “That’s the last 5? What’s the rest of it?”
    That is it. It’s a ‘67 351 ST. The 24,515th chassis built.
    “What’s a 351? It’s not in the computer.
    Do you have anyone here older then me that might remember those models and numbers? Lol!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.