older trainee

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by snicrep, Jul 19, 2022.

1. snicrep

snicrep Medium Load Member

May 13, 2009
    mcallen, tx
    i used to work for cfi for less than 6 mos, 13 yrs ago. i had a minor incident when i scratched another truck while backing at a truck stop. also had a forklift break through the floorboards of a trailer at a shipper and they counted that against me. I was 50 then and let my cdl lapse in the interim.
    since then ive worked a federal job and retired a few month ago. dps says ill have to start from scratch.
    im 64, but in great health. i hold a pilots license too. i just got my dot med card. im looking for a co. that will train so i dont have to pay out of pocket for school. cr england said they can but ive heard alot of bad stuff. but i know how recruiters will never say no. cre says your training is pd for if you stay 9 mos. Ive also applied to crst and am waiting to hear back. the application process was more comprehensive with them, not just a voice on the phone like cre.im thinking of going with either just because it may be my only choice. also, im afraid my age might make me seem like Im not a prime candidate for some companies.
    I have alot of class b experience (fire dept for 25 yrs).any other training companies out there?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    Check with www.casecdl.com

You don't need ELDT, they can rent you a truck with practice time and take the performance test at the DMV in MO. Transfer that to TX. Then you will have your full CDL back without restrictions and can work anywhere. It will just take you a couple days of driving and a day there, along with a motel and their rental fee (should be under $1,000).

Definitely stay away from CRE.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    We love CRE.

Most total BABES of anywhere in trucking.

Started there in '05, never looked back.

Get a year in under your belt with a clean record. I own multiple trucks now. We can help.

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Here's a good one that might work for you.
    Looks like there's a terminal in McAllen. School won't be in McAllen though. The school is moved around every now and then. Transportation to the school is provided. The website gives all the details.
    ~
    Tuition-free CDL Driving Academy - Dock Worker Jobs …
    HTTPSdrive4yrc.com/yrc-freight-cdl-training-academy
    [​IMG]

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  9. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @snicrep --

Current fuel hauler here (hazmat tanker), over in Ga.

Stop worrying about your age!

It's currently very much a "driver's market" in trucking right now.

Trucking companies will actually value you--because of your maturity, and life experience.

Because it is VERY MUCH a driver's market right now--you can do MUCH BETTER than the carriers you mentioned in your first post above (that is--if you really want to).

Suggestion: Go tanker! If you are currently in excellent health, starting out doing food-grade tanker will do a better job helping you stay that way--rather than pulling boxes (like dry van, or reefer).

Tanker duty is a bit more physically involved, and you'll interact more with the trailer and the cargo.

When I started my current job--I lost 15 lbs. That wouldn't happen if I were instead still pulling boxes.

The suggestion made in post #3 above is a great way for you to break into the industry.

Of course--you'll need a tanker endorsement, if you don't already have it.

But that's pretty easy to get--and they will probably help you with that, too.

--Lual

10. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    I have seen guys older than you still doing flatbed work. Let it ride. You do what you want until your body & mind say you can't anymore. If asked why now because I can. Some of those companies may not be a candidate for you. All the best to you on your journey

11. snicrep

snicrep Medium Load Member

May 13, 2009
    mcallen, tx
    babes you say?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.