Older Truck Question

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Paul328, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Paul328

Paul328 Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2016
    I was on here for a while, was OTR and enjoyed the job. Unfortunately I was diagnosed with an inoperable tumor in my head. Although benign it is in a place that will effect my driving if I tried full time again.

So I circled the wagons, had a great family friend give me an awesome deal on a fifth wheel.

Now for a tow vehicle. On disability so the 20k to 75k duallys are out. A friend ask me why not buy an older tractor? I want to travel while I still can. Seems like a good idea.

Any suggestions on older model tractors that are really dependable? Have seen several 70's and 80's Whites and Mack's for 4k to 7k.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. My thoughts first are you able to carry a drivers license? Is your other half going to drive also?

When or if you choose a vehicle with "air brakes". You will need to add it to your class c license as an endorsement.

You could look into a
    Kodiak

1038669536.jpg

They work well with fifth wheel trailers and don't require an airbrake endorsement.

Due to lack of information what experience do you have towing? Have you ever driven an airbrake truck?

Bean Jr. and TripleSix Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Probably get one of these used on Ebay. Don't remember the asking price on Ebay, but there's a few on there for sale.
    These are heavy duty pickup trucks with a kit added to look like a small big rig.
    www.lilbigrig.com
    [​IMG] upload_2018-7-22_14-5-1.jpeg

77fib77, Lepton1 and DSK333 Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I don't know about this.

If by chance your doctors are aware of this tumor being where it is and possibly has ordered formally that you do not drive anymore because of it, there might be no point in pursuing this particular path. At most you would be parking it on your back yard for you to enjoy from the rocking chair at home.

You need to double check with your State to be sure you are still valid to drive. Best case scenario would be to swear out a tier two document saying you do not qualify medically to hold a CDL but would be grandfathered to hold one without a medical anywhere. (Some states have other tiers, check through those carefully before signing)

If your doctors choose to they can revoke your driving medically by order. And that will be that for your license whatever it might be.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    He's ok to drive, but not full time. Retirement is a good option; pull a travel trailer and only drive when he feels like it.

Paul328 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    33511FF4-10CD-48C4-A493-28C89B66CE49.jpeg
    Like this. Not as pretty but should be able to do anything you need it to.

Mr @Paul328, be sure to let us know what you come up with.

Luck in battle.

peterbilt_2005 and AModelCat Thank this.
  8. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    I would stay away from the older Whites and Macks.

All you need to haul a fifth wheel camper is a 1 ton truck. 3/4 ton if it's not too large.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  9. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    Thanks to idiots diesel pickups are overpriced beyond belief. You cant buy anything that is decent for less than 10k any more. This has caused people to look at other options, like medium duty trucks. That caused the price of those to jump too.

Thanks to eld's and the above factors you can't buy a decent class 8 truck either. You might be able to find a single axle rig, but its gonna be run down more than likely.

Besides a semi at 80k lbs handles better than a 1 ton hauling a 12k lbs 5th wheel.

10. hectorgomez862

hectorgomez862 Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2018
    Dude those are awesome!

Chinatown Thanks this.
  11. Paul328

Paul328 Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2016
    My point exactly, used to be you could get an older 1 ton Ford Diesel without signing your soul away, those days are gone.

To answer the question, I am ok to drive, just not make a living of it. I am retiring and will only be traveling every other month.

A single axle would be ideal, I will let you all know how the search goes.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.