Oldeskool going flatbed

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by OldeSkool, Apr 28, 2024.

1. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    New Hampshire
    Well I haven’t been on here for a while, but I sold my truck after 7 years and after a few months of doing other odds and ends to make a living I am planning to start with a flatbed company. They run quite new equipment and have excellent pay and benefits. The owners son was who I talked to and he seems very nice. Anyway, it’s all lumber hauling mostly on flatbed occasionally on conestoga trailers. They have a 3 week training period, but as I am new to flatbed any tips you want to give me would be great.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    Well good luck, hope you are in great shape cause those tarps can and will kill ya.
    Joke: When are a flatbedders hands clean?

After eatting Kentucky Fried Chicken, umm finger licking good.
    Sorry ......I couldn't help myself

4. OlegMel

OlegMel Light Load Member

Apr 8, 2023
    Lumber isn’t hard to haul usually. Know when to use your edge protection because it can damage your straps or you can damage product if it’s finished. Belly strap any load that’s 5’ or higher or has multiple layers. Make sure it’s nice and tight so boards don’t walk on you. If ends are sharp than get in a habit of padding the sharp edges so you’re not spending your weekend fixing the tarp. Watch some YouTube on tarping so you have a good idea.

OldeSkool, CAXPT and TX2Day Thank this.
  5. OlegMel

Apr 8, 2023
    Also get yourself some Milwaukee cut resistant gloves level 3 from Home depot. They will last you a good amount of time. Regular gloves will tear in a heart beat.

lual, OldeSkool, CAXPT and 1 other person Thank this.
  6. REO6205

REO6205 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    COT has a whole series of videos on tarping. They might not apply exactly to what you'll be doing but maybe you can pick up a few tips.
    Tie down tight, drive smooth.

7. stwik

stwik Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2017
    USA USA USA!!!
    3 weeks to train someone to haul mostly lumber on a flatbed?

Alright

8. OlegMel

Apr 8, 2023
    Western, prime, melton, p&s, and others have training that is minimum a week, and it’s still not enough judging by how they secure and tarp….

beastr123, OldeSkool and CAXPT Thank this.
  9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Let me be the 1st, apparently, to say, good job:thumbup:. I heartily endorse your move. So many times we hear of people saying, BY GOD, THIS TIME I"M DOING IT,,,only to hear from them months later, nothing changed. Selling the truck, another great move, and tarping can be a hassle. I used to "pick up sticks" near Reedsburg, Wis. in a container, how did they load it, you ask? They pushed the stacks in with a front end loader, and ALL my wheels had to be blocked for that, but while waiting once, the wind was a howling, and this guy next to me was fighting a losing battle with the tarp. He'd get one side, and the other blew off. Finally, I could see his despair, and got out and helped him. You may get extra for tarping. Thing about flatbed, if you can handle it, so many "box" rules go out the window. No docks or pallets or crabby receivers, generally low wind resistance, and the best part, most times, the stuff you haul, these guys are WAITING FOR YOU, unlike another load of aXX wipe to a DC. I did some flatbed, and you learn fast. The most impartent port[sic], the load can't fall off. Good luck, keep us posted, eh?

OldeSkool Thanks this.
  10. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    If we judged ability off of tarping prowess, I'd have to go dry van

CAXPT, W923, cke and 3 others Thank this.
  11. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    New Hampshire
    Yes I will keep you all posted. The 3 week training period is optional. If I feel ready to go on my own sooner that’s totally fine. I just have it if I need it. Really the tarping is my biggest concern because I’m in New Hampshire and they definitely get wind. They do have sheds with a roof to tarp under although the sides are open. I was doing tree work for 4 months before going back to trucking so the physical part of tarping probably won’t be too big of a problem for me after lugging branches uphill through a foot of snow, or bent over all day running a chainsaw through an acre of brush.

CAXPT, cke, Kyle G. and 1 other person Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.