On the road again....

Discussion in 'Trucking Jobs' started by RZ350, Nov 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RZ350

RZ350 Bobtail Member

Jul 20, 2005
    Wet Coast Canuckland
    Well after a three year adventure of running my own business, followed by running someone elses business, then driving trucks for the film industry, I'm goin' back on the Highway. I'm on a plane for Saskatoon in the morning for a week of orientation with my new company. I put alot of effort into researching my new opportunity, and chose a company that is listed as one of the top 50 best managed companies in Canada, AND listed as one of the 100 best companies in Canada to work for. Not 100 and 50 best trucking companies, but companies period. Now it may be that the 100 best to work for pertains more to office employees, but I will know for sure soon. I do know that they have one of the lowest turnover rates of the Major canadian companies, and that most of thier drivers seem to be happy. Lots of million milers with them so that is always a good sign.

Hopefully I'll have some good things to say about 'em in the favorite companies forum. Stay tuned, and wish me well.

Maybe I'll see some of ya out there.

Keep the shiny side up....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cerberus101

Cerberus101 Heavy Load Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Georgia
    welcome to the forum and good luck. you wanna share some more info for us. like company name, etc........

4. RZ350

RZ350 Bobtail Member

Jul 20, 2005
    Wet Coast Canuckland
    It's the Yanke group of companies from Saskatoon Saskatchewan. They have about 450 power units, Mostly Volvo VN670s though they used to be all Freightshakers. I'll be running dry freight mostly cross border.

Here's one for ya, they have a lease purchase plan, that they won't even consider you for until you have at least six months time in, the only exception being current owner/ops looking to get into a new Volvo. I don't have enough info to give you the lowdown, but the only one I've met so far loves it. I just think that the way they aren't pushing it is a good sign, but we'll see. Lease purchases kinda give me the willies so, although I'll look into it later, I don't know that I'll be going that route. I have decided that at some point I want my own truck, but I think I'll just buy one.

When I left long haulin' three years ago I swore I wouldn't be back, but the open road is calling me. They have a guaranteed home policy and a guaranteed move policy as well, so we'll see how it all works out. As I said I put alot of research in, and these guys seemed to be one of the best.

5. Cerberus101

Oct 25, 2006
    Georgia
    good luck. sounds pretty good. let us know how it goes.

6. RZ350

RZ350 Bobtail Member

Jul 20, 2005
    Wet Coast Canuckland
    Day One:
    Well they flew me out here Saskaholycrapitscold today. I am staying at the Hilton in my own room, in fact they were out of smoking singles so they stuck me in a double queen. Now I have to choose which bed to sleep in. I have meals included here at the Hotel as well.

Ok so first impression good.

Will have a better idea tommorrow, as I am going in for my road test. I will get my first real look at the operation as I will see the head office, terminal, and maintenance facilities.

7. HEAVY METAL

HEAVY METAL Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2006
    K-TOWN,ON.CA
    Good luck out there RZ350. I have never really heard anything bad about Yanke. The only thing I personally dont much care for is the speed they have the trucks governed at, But thats just a small thing. Hope it all works out for ya.

8. Cerberus101

Oct 25, 2006
    Georgia
    ok RZ that sounds good but how was the first day? i know your still in orientation when i write this but just trying to get a head start.

9. RZ350

RZ350 Bobtail Member

Jul 20, 2005
    Wet Coast Canuckland
    Road test:
    Ok first actual look at the place, looks good so far. Building is old, but is scheduled for replacement as soon as the city decides what it's doing with the freeway/bypass system. The road test and pretrip test was extremely thorough, and safety seems to be a very high priority. The trucks are mostly Volvos with ISXs and super ten trannies. I really don't like the super10, but I don't spec 'em I just drive 'em. The actual in-class orientation begins tommorrow and runs for three days. I am currently feeling up-beat about the company, but I'm still withholding judgement for tommorrow. Oh BTW I passed the testing quite well :). If the company as whole is as concerned about safety as they seem to be, I will be pretty happy here.

I'll give further impressions tommorrow after the first day of class.

rocknroll nik Thanks this.
  10. Cerberus101

Oct 25, 2006
    Georgia
    so far so good. but tomorrow will answer more questions. and give you doubt or put your doubt to ease.

11. RZ350

RZ350 Bobtail Member

Jul 20, 2005
    Wet Coast Canuckland
    Well they really are pushing safety and compliance. Looks good from that end anyway. Company speed limit of 62 miles per hour... Ok but they give us 65 on the pedal... will lose bonus points for exessive time over 62 though. Ok well looks like cruise control city at this point, but 62 is gonna rub me wrong I think. Of course any chance that I might have bought into the company lease deal was just thrown out the window as they expect O/os and L/os to comply with the company speed limit as well. They will actually terminate your contract for speeding over the company limit. I'll be ###### if someone is gonna tell me how fast to run MY truck, but I'll be driving thiers so it's ok. I really like what I'm hearing on other fronts though. I'm especially happy about the safety and compliance stuff, I have decided that any company that wants me to run illegal isn't the place for me. If I can't make a living running safe and legal I'll do something else.

So all in all a good first day, we'll see how it goes over the next two, and then on into the truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.