On The Road Food Ideas

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking in the Truck | Trucker Recipe Forum' started by daddyhusky, Jul 28, 2013.

1. texasbigbird54

texasbigbird54 Light Load Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Uvalde, TX
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the lowly legume, beans. They come in cans, many different varieties, are very nutiritous, high in protein, vitamins and fiber, and low in fat. They are also very inexpensive. If you have a way to heat the beans, a very quick and easy but healthy meal is the simple bean and cheese burrito using 100% whole wheat tortillas, especially if you go easy on the cheese. Go to the store and buy some cheap canned unseasoned pinto beans like Great Value. Also pick up some large whole wheat tortillas, a bag of colby jack shredded cheese, and some chili powder and cumin from the spice aisle. Just heat the ingredients, seasoned to taste, roll up the mixture and enjoy. I always drain the beans to cut the sodium and so the filling won't be runny, then season. One can of beans will make two large burritos and should satisfy all but the largest stomachs. A filling, healthy meal will only set you back about $1.50. The spices will keep well, and will make many meals, but the bag of cheese will need to be kept refrigerated. If you don't have a fridge, just buy enough cheese at the service deli counter for one meal.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
    daddyhusky, Twicebit and Lady K Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. vhughes

vhughes Medium Load Member

Aug 13, 2012
    alabama
    Cant say that I have. i dont see why not thought. Would just have to keep it cold.

4. vhughes

vhughes Medium Load Member

Aug 13, 2012
    alabama
    Chicken noodle soup. i get a few cans every week also

daddyhusky and fr8te_sh8ker Thank this.
  5. fr8te_sh8ker

fr8te_sh8ker Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2013
    I have an igloo electric cooler and have no battery problem. When I sit or weather is bad I unplug it to conserve and put bag of ice inside, good to have during summer too. It's about 25 x 25 x 10, very easy to move around. My MW is a mini and I don't use it in the truck, take it to the shower room (ask me later about my wax paper and cling wrap lol yes, I'm a neat freak). The blonde with the rolling luggage rack at the Flying J that's me :)

daddyhusky Thanks this.
  6. Freightlinerbob

Freightlinerbob Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2012
    West Coast B.C.
    I've been using the same Koolatron 12 volt cooler for 2 decades. In the summer when it just can't keep up, I take a tall gallon jug and cut a hole near the top to put ice in and place it in the cooler. Then when the ice melts it won't make a mess in the cooler. There is still enough room for 3-4 days of what needs refrigeration. Then it's time to head to Wally World for more veggies.

daddyhusky and fr8te_sh8ker Thank this.
  7. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Many top restaurants serve cold summer soups, usually of the non-meat variety. Walmart had a special on Lentil Soup, I bought a few cans as LS is one of my favorites, but I'd always had it hot. I was amazed how good it was straight from the can as a cold soup! As an added bonus I added fresh basil for extra zest. This week I bought several cans and scored some fresh arugula.

For those that don't know, arugula has a buttery, spicy flavor and does great things for soup... IMHO better than basil.

Lentils are a legume (think beans), high in protein, easy to digest, and very filling. For some protein to add to this evening meal (after my shift) I added a can of mackerel fillets. Mackerel is a fish that has firm flesh, has an up front flavor, and had definitely replaced sardines in my food supply.

fr8te_sh8ker and daddyhusky Thank this.
  8. Freightlinerbob

Freightlinerbob Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2012
    West Coast B.C.
    For a while I was on a "Beans N Rice" kick. Zatarains makes some really easy meals with some sausage added in. Get the Low Sodium variety. I also experimented with Lentils. High Fibre, high nutrition, easy to store/ cook.

I've been using a Burton Butane stove from the Petro for over a year. Awesome.

daddyhusky Thanks this.
  9. texasbigbird54

texasbigbird54 Light Load Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Uvalde, TX
    Ahh, Zatarains Low-sodium Gumbo with some smoked sausage. Thats a good one and easy to make. I am definitely getting a butane stove when I go solo.

daddyhusky Thanks this.
  10. daddyhusky

daddyhusky Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I've been using a Burton Butane stove from the Petro for over a year. Awesome.[/QUOTE]

Is it OK to have a Butane Stove in your truck? That would be perfect. I guess if the company or cops ask about the Butane, I can tell them I have my HAZMAT. :biggrin_255:

fr8te_sh8ker and quetzalcoatl Thank this.
  11. cetanediesel

cetanediesel Medium Load Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Albany, NY
    The Mountain House food is great. The eggs and bacon is a great start in the morning, just add a little extra water to it. Do as the instructions say and they come out nice. Dont bother wasting your money on the ice creme dessert, its crap. The modern MRE is light years ahead of the old C rations your talking about. They even have a self heating bag in every one to heat the entree. I have gotten deep into prepping and sampled many long term storage foods. The MREs are the best for a complete meal in a bag that lasts 10 years. The instant potatoes in the individual plastic bags are fast AND good. If you dont want to dirty or have dishes, you can just pour in water at the temperature you like and eat from the bag top down. Then you just throw the bag out with the plastic spoon. Next you have the plastic/foil pags of tuna. They come plane or with flavors. These need no refrigeration. The walmart (GreatValue) brand of chocolate chip granola bars $2.50 for 20 are a good grab as your rollin snack. There are soo many foods that if stored properly do not need refrigeration, you just need to figure them out.

TheDude1969 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.