One business two different divisions. DOT help.

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by pbrownnn, May 20, 2020.

1. pbrownnn

pbrownnn Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2019
    Not sure where to post this-

I own a local specialized transport company for two specific industries. We run a fleet of 24ft box trucks and 12-24ft stake bed trucks. We have had our authority for about 30 years specific to this industry. Recently we expanded into running some regional 53’ semi trucks moving general van freight, we figured more revenue is always good since we already have the authority.

My issue came up when we were going to renew insurance, they wanted to limit my semi trucks to a 500 mile radius(progressive), so we figured we would shop around at that point and see what else we could find. Well after shopping with some other insurance companies everyone wanted to raise my rates on my small trucks as if they were classified as semi trucks, for example a $3,500 a year premium for one box truck would have went to a $10,000 a year premium.

Is there anyway around this? Starting a new separate business with a new authority is an option, just seems more like a hassle especially if I use that company to run our long haul trucks, the authority will be new, which would be frowned upon with brokers. If I started a new business for my local company and ran a DBA under that as operating as the same name could work, but could also increase my insurances.

Any insite or other ideas anyone might have would be greatly appreciated!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Are you working through an insurance broker or calling companies yourself? I was able to split my trucks into two fleets (local and super-regional), but it was like pulling teeth and I don't think I would have been able to get there without the broker going to bat for me. Saving about $6K per year on the local trucks was worth it.

brian991219, pbrownnn and Coffey Thank this.
  4. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    What he said, our company utilizes the broker they have used since day one and he does those little 'extra' things in our best interest.

pbrownnn Thanks this.
  5. pbrownnn

pbrownnn Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2019
    We do use a broker. I will have to reach out to him today about that. Seems to be the best idea, I had a feeling you could split it, just didn't know what loop holes you would have to go through. Thanks!

HopperHauler Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.