One Great Piece of Advice You Need To Heed

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Tip, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    If you're a driver out there, one great piece of advice you need to follow is keep tabs on your blood sugar level. Get one of those meters from a drug store or ***mart with the strips and check it about once a month if you don't already have to. Type 2 diabetes will sneak up on you quick if you're a driver, sitting in a seat all day getting zero real exercise. And if you drink a lot of soda and eat the junk at the truck stops, check it bi-weekly if your BMI is drifting up. I tell you guys this because I've run into the type 2 wall head on, and now I have to deal with it. I've let myself get too big around the waist, thanks to drinking too much diet soda (Diet Mt Dew, I thank you for this ####) and eating too many carbs. After flunking a company physical because my glucose level was 392, I've brought it back down over the past week to around 150. That's still too high, but it's coming down. And it could have been avoided.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    As a type 2 diabetic I second this. Putting aside the medical implications for a moment, if you get type 2 diabetes you risk losing your cdl if your sugar is not under control. It makes the dot physical alot more stressful.

Park near the back and walk to the ts. Watch what you eat at the buffet line, or just avoid it all together. Get a nice piece of chicken and vegitables. Get some fruit for the truck, something like apples or bananas that dont have to be refridgerated. Try sugar free items like candy and bread, they taste good.

Deink wise, coffee, use splenda. My doc has allowed me to drink Coke Zero or even the best is Diet Pepsi cause no longer has Aspertame, they use spleand now.

Just stay active, and wafch what you eat and you will be fine.

I didnt when I was younger, and I am paying for it now.

4. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    I'll also add that a driver should try to fast about 1 day every 10 days. I'd try to fast about 1 day a week now, being as I know how much a driving job can screw up your health if you're not careful about diet. I know Diet Mt Dew is the drink of death, for sure. But again, the key is moderation. But moderation is hard when the 44 oz is only 10 cents more than the 20 oz.

5. CrappieJunkie

Mar 9, 2014
    Diet Mt. Dew isnt the problem. It does not have sugar. I work thirds, so I deink one every morning for the cafffine boost to make it home and my last sugar check was amazing. My doctor said that he was over joyed at the results. I drink one on the way home. It is a 20 oz. And I usually dont finish it. Im off weekends so I dont drink one then. You can drink it. But like everything else it is moderation.

Gatorade and Powerade are horrible. If you get the low calorie ones, those have only like 1 carb and 1 gram of sugar. That is a lot better than just getting the regular ones.

6. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Or pull a deck and tarp loads.

7. MooneyBravo

MooneyBravo Heavy Load Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Vermilion, Oh

8. MooneyBravo

MooneyBravo Heavy Load Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Vermilion, Oh
    I eat cereal if I can with almond milk in the morning or oatmeal and fruit.
    I snack on fruits and nuts all day and maybe a package of Salmon. I try and eat a light dinner with vegetables and brown rice at the end of the day, maybe 3 hours before bed.
    I mostly drink water all day and 2 cups of coffee in the morning. Sometimes I drink a half a soda pop(No cola) before bed.

I am a car hauler and so I get to do a lot of walking to fetch my cars and trucks. At 58 except for a deteriorated disc i appear to be in great shape. I also carry a 50 ft × 2in Battle Rope in my truck to exercise with whenever possible.

FalconsFan21 Thanks this.
  9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Seriously, drop the diet sodas all together. They are chemical bombs that are made to keep you drinking.

Water is the best, distilled if you can, maybe with some natural juices like throwing a lemon or even some strawberries in it and letting it sit for a little bit.

Splenda has one gram of sugar in it when it comes in packets, it is not zero sugar.

cereal?

Stay away from high carb stuff, don't even consider the ones with sugar in them. Soy or almond milk is good but 2% is good.

Carbs are the killer, they need to be taken in limited amounts but they are needed.

I've been type 2 for years now, I have had control over this until november but now I am getting a grip on it.

Lepton1 and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  10. CrappieJunkie

Mar 9, 2014
    My A1C was in the high 5's on my last check up in May, drinking diet soda. Think I am okay with that and Splenda.

My doctor says Splenda is ok, so I will take his word on it.

Thanks though.

11. clausland

clausland Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2014
    North Woods
    I struggle with sugar too, but no meds yet as A1C has been close but not over.....Watch your diet and get some cardio going on to burn the sugar out of the bloodstream (a few grocery loads will solve that), watch the carb level, drink water and leave all soda alone. Sugar is put in most everything now, just read the labels. I used to use Splenda, but then read about the chemical process utilized to produce it. I've switched to Stevia, all natural, but takes a little bit to get used to the taste. Good advice by Tip, get a meter and check it, especially those over 40......

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.