One more noob for the road! The story begins...

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by BuckeyeKev, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Rock 'n Roll Relocater

Rock 'n Roll Relocater Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Near Music City
    You will do just fine. You got thrown into the deep end without a life preserver after only having been taught to dog paddle. It won't be long before you will be the one helping the new guys get backed in at the truck stop. Just take a deep breath, embrace your friends and loved ones over Thanksgiving and come back fresh and ready to take on anything thrown at you. I have faith in you. ;)

BuckeyeKev Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pintlehook

Pintlehook Road Train Member

May 2, 2013
    @BuckeyeKev No doubt you're feeling pretty low right now, but there is an upside to this. In a few years you'll be able to look back on these incidents and realize that you learned something from them. You'll also have mastered your "craft" and have the ability to better assess driving situations. Keep your head up and enjoy some turkey today!

4. The Patriot

The Patriot Heavy Load Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Greenville,Ohio
    I hear those Hogan dedicated accounts are not bad...let us know. In my experience...dedicated is the way to go...as long as the pay is right.

SHOJim Thanks this.
  5. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Well Kev you should be happy today!

6. BuckeyeKev

BuckeyeKev Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2015
    Cincinnati, O-H-I-O
    "Hurry up and wait." We have all heard it, experienced it; this morning is no different. I'm at Dial in Edwardsville, Il after dropping my load from Wednesday in a door. Now, I'm waiting on the planners to find an empty and a load, or send me over to the mother ship for refresher training. In 20, it's a Qualcomm message and over to the Flying J.

Now, as for the dropping of the trailer - I've got the "yips.". If this were a Target store, I'm confident that I could thread the needle. But here, with nothing fit two doors at least on either side - I looked like the noob that I am. It was so bad that I could have backed into Kansas and not hit my spot if it was a cornfield! But, I kept the nerves down as best I could and got it against the dock. Yes, I used at least four GOALs and a half dozen pullups. Goodness, I want to be better at this than I was this morning; especially after two really challenging ( for me) spots in Pittsburgh and Alliance.
    I get stuck thinking there is just one right answer. Today, it was: " Lots of space, let's blindside." What it should have been was: "Miss the blindside practice twice and set up sight-side.".

I'm such a rookie and I'm out here on the ledge. The important thing for me to remember is that as long as I don't put myself in an unwinnable spot and I continue to GOAL that my skill set will catch up and I will get better/faster. Until then there are no judges, no bonus points, and only opportunities to fall on my face.

Any week that starts with the Buckeyes beating the "Team up North" is a good week. The Bucks did their part, it's on me to keep it going!

7. Rock 'n Roll Relocater

Nov 16, 2015
    Near Music City
    I drove buses for many years, often pulling a trailer behind. When I started driving a big truck trying to back confounded me for longer than I like to admit. The turning points were drastically different and I was constantly over correcting. Then one day I was backing into a tight dock and it all clicked. It was one of those 'aha!' moments and I never had a problem after that. It may not happen like that for you but I guarantee the day will come when you bump a dock and suddenly realize you didn't have to GOAL once. After that it gets easier with every back..... ;)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  8. FreightlinerGuy

FreightlinerGuy Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2008
    Great Lakes, USA
    Awe man! You're a great writer! You marvel the likes of DFO(dieselfuelonly)!

You have a great story here and it seems a great support system. It's interesting hearing you came from the management side to the driver side not to mention working for YRC. It may give you a bit of perspective of some of the complaining those drivers did that you worked with.

Just remember to take it easy. It may take longer to do things the right way but it takes even longer to fix accidents and mistakes.

There are things that happen "out there" that man.. Well, you can't always tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Although these few instances have involved some actual damage....

Keep on, keeping on! Let us know how the refresher goes and the rest of your journey.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    BuckeyeKev Thanks this.
  9. Big Papaxx

Big Papaxx Medium Load Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Chicago, Los Angeles
    The thing is your still out there doing it and that is all you can do.. Einstein said " The only true source of knowledge is Experience." You got this the first step was you got back in the truck.. Now unfortunately your beloved buckeyes are outside looking in.. But with a lil luck the Black and Gold of Iowa Nation will defeat the evil Spartans.. Yeah not so sure that will happen even being a Iowa Native...I think we are far more a product of a week schedule than of talent but we are 12 and 0..

10. BuckeyeKev

BuckeyeKev Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2015
    Cincinnati, O-H-I-O
    Wow, what a couple days! My refresher training was not quite what I expected. However, I did pick up a couple tips. I got to use those tidbits later that afternoon while picking up a load going to Texas for someone else. That's right, use the new guy.

I was okay with it because well, I'm the new guy and I did scratch up somebody else's truck. My okayness with it all started to fade after the fourth hour in line. I know from hearing others that I will have to fight for the detention. I cannot say I'm thrilled to make $48. However, this is trucking and I have to pay my dues. I have a saying that I turn to when I think I am being done wrong by somebody, "The first one's free." Hanging me out like that to get a load for someone else, is probably smart dispatching but it is certainly poor driver management.

I put yesterday behind me when I saw I had to pick up a beer load going to Indiana. That's right, I get to be the Snowman! No, it wasn't Coors nor was it from Texarkana but I got to live a trucking cliche. I got more backing practice at A/B as well as at the delivery end. I was feeling my confidence growing. Plus, I'm gaining some good understanding of scaling loads and kingpin lengths.

Off to Danville and a pickup going back towards STL and the confidence took a hit. I arrived with two hours to go in my day and I had a plan. That was until I had to drop my empty three times. I thought I had it in the right place and the yard guy said I was in the wrong spot. After blind siding around an obstacle I wasn't even close to being lined up and here comes the yard guy. Now, I have to back an 1/8th of a mile between some jersey wall blocks and across the employee walkway (Aside: see big truck? Stop walking.) and into a TIGHT slot that might have been 3" wider than my trailer.

Result: I got out of there and I'm hiding in the corner of a small logistics company for my 10 hour break, and I may have more GOALS than both Gordie Howe and Gretsky combined but no scratches! Freight is delivered and I'm safe and legal. Today was a hard learning day but I'm on this side of it and tomorrow is a new day.

11. Rock 'n Roll Relocater

Nov 16, 2015
    Near Music City
    Even old road dogs have tough days. Hang in there. ;)

BuckeyeKev Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.