One Trucker's week

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Aligator, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Aligator

Aligator Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Mississippi
    [I'm placing this in New Drivers because they would be the ones most likely to be interested. I work for a furniture manufacturer and have just finished my first year.]

Monday....I have to be in Memphis at 7AM. That means I gotta be on the road at 5. No problem....I made the appointment. WHAT A BREAK! One of our trailers is there and the boss tells me to drop and hook. I'm outa there in 10 minutes flat! On the way home he wants me to stop at a parts house and pick up metal parts; I know where it is and I'm back home by 3PM....end of trip.
    But my new trip starts right now! I gotta drop and hook in Atlanta - 5 hours away at 0345 Tuesday morning. So I beat feet over to GA/AL line and get some sleep.
    Tuesday....I got some sleep, but not much. Made my D&H and they said "bring 'er home". I'm too tired to drive straight through so I catch a nap and get home Tues at noon. Spend a coupla hours sitting around with my wife but I gotta go. My next trip is in New Jersey for Thursday morning so I gotta drive some miles today. About midnight I pulled into my favorite rest stop in Tennessee 420 miles away
    Wednesday....Drove. I made it to within 150 miles of my final destination, but I've never been there before, it's dark and raining and I'll have time to find it tomorrow if I get at it early.....
    Thursday....Early. Made it over to New Jersey and found the place, but there are trucks ahead of me. I waited 4 hours, got the dock, and then the dock crew shuts down for lunch! No prob. I made friends with one of the other drivers so we walk over to Burger King. BY 1:30 I'm talking to dispatch.......
    Now I've got a pick up in Middletown, NY to go to North Carolina....takes three hours to get to Middletown and an incredible 5 hours to get loaded. Now I'm dog-tired....I drive about 30 miles to a truck stop, found a spot and went to bed.....
    Friday.....Got up early and made it from Scranton, PA to NC in 12 hours. Pulled into the yard at about 6 PM. And sat for two hours. Then three.
    Finally called their security and told them I was outa hours and was going to have to leave the yard. He asks when I will be back and I told him I didn't know, maybe next week some time....It was all a lie, but it worked! They unloaded me pronto! Now I gotta go to one of our suppliers in NC and do another D&H. I take care of that and am safe in bed at 12 midnight......I ain't getting much rest this week!
    Saturday.....No real schedule, just herd this beast home and then call Monday. It's 650 miles, though so it's 6 PM time I get home.....

Miles: 3655 (32.5 CPM).........................$1187.87
    Drops....5 (15$ each)..............................$75.00
    Pick ups...3 (25$ each).............................$75.00
    Downtime....16 hours ($7.50 each)............$120.00
    Safety bonus ...3655 (2.5CPM)..................$91.37

Total....................................................$1549.24

I don't usually make that much. Closer to 1100/week is my average. But it was a good week and dispatch appreciated me getting it all done....

Hope this helps some Noob....BOL, ya'll.

BillStep and Dreamboat Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bluegrassbandmom

bluegrassbandmom Light Load Member

Nov 15, 2006
    plainfield, indiana
    Ok, gator this does give some what of an idea as to miles (knowing those are high miles and won't happen every week) and the earnings which appear to be similar to Roehl's 'accessorial pay' and at Roehl you start off at .30cpm but in 3-6 months will be making .32-33 cpm somthing like that so, how was your first yr earnings? how awful were they? I mean like in the first 3 months or so. I currently make 34,000 a yr or did (my last day was friday):occasion5: So I start Roehl in jan.:hello1: :hello1: :hello1:

4. ajb1972

ajb1972 Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Springdale, AR
    Aligator,

That was a very informative post. Exactly what I've been looking to find out. Thank you.:thumbup:

5. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    The main problem I see with your week, as I read your post, you were out of hours by Tuesday morning, and didn't have enough time for a 10 hour reset before you got home.

You then left for NJ in the hole on hours. You may have caught back up by the time you got there, but you got behind again before you picked up in NY and stopped in Pa..

You were out of hours again by the time you unloaded and picked up in NC, and then you drove on to Ms.

I'm sure the logs looked OK, but the timeline you posted for all the world to see doesn't. I'm not trying to start an arguement, or come off as preachy. We've all done this in the past.

The points I am trying to make are as follows:

1. Be careful what you post on a public forum, you never know who's watching.

2. New drivers need to be taught and encouraged to drive legal, no matter what the circumstances.

3. No load is worth you life or health. Taxing your body from lack of
    sleep is dangerous to other drivers, and bad for your health.

4. If you had been in a serious accident while driving with creative loging
    you could have faced some serious jail time.

Read the link I posted.

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...truck-driver-charged-fatal-crash-accused.html

If I mis-read your timeline, and you did all of this legal, then please ignore this post.

6. Aligator

Aligator Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Mississippi
    I averaged 1100/week for the year; will make 57K. There hasn't been much variation since I started.
    Note that the little things make a big difference........try to go with someone who pays for drops, pickups, down time, etc. I don't like any of the freight companies, but then I've never worked for any of them........
    Since I work for a manufacturer I even get paid holiday pay - whether I work or not. But not everyone will get as lucky as I did. You may have to slug it out at some freight company for a year or even two before you get what you want. Or maybe you'll like freight companies.....

7. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    Omg i can’t believe you let them work you so illegal like that. Your a rolling dot violation. A law suite in a truck. How haven’t the snowflakes gotten a hold of you yet?

If your gonna open an old thread....shoot for the moon:)

8. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Not a bad take home pay for the week i'd guess most drivers would be happy to have that kind of money in the bank at the end of the week.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.