One year as a O/O with one truck. Is buying a second as backup wise?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by greatvines, Mar 8, 2015.

1. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    just get a 03 or older pre emissions, e.g.r. e.t.c. like a ser 60 500 h.p. det!

greatvines Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. greatvines

greatvines Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2015
    - No cross country driving. The most the truck drives is 300 miles round trip.

- Repairs maintenance costs were 50k total but that includes labor roughly half of the maintenance cost is labor so thats around 25k labor and 25k parts. I've tried different mechanics (roughly 4 total different ones) and they pretty have the same prices to a point that I'm wasting more time scouting for prices instead of my truck going back on the road as quickly as it can. Thats why having a second truck came to mind, so it can continue making revenue while the other truck is being worked on.

Also, If I were to buy another truck, I would need to make sure they are rotated so one truck is not just sitting there collecting dust if both of them are not broken.

It is true though that having this truck worked on for that much $$, i could have bought another truck. In a positive sense I did, it has been running smoothly for two months now knock on wood. However, I know trucks break down so this is just wishful thinking of me that this will last me another 3
    months problem free.

The chance of both trucks breaking down at the same time is a 50/50 probability and if I'm only running one truck at a time, then the other truck is being looked on for issues which lessens the probability that it will fail?

4. greatvines

Mar 7, 2015
    I hope you're not being sarcastic! :biggrin_25514:

5. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Also, check with your insurance carrier. They may require you to carry insurance on all trucks that you own, whether you plan to actually operate them or not.

6. greatvines

Mar 7, 2015
    I will need a bobtail insurance if I am going to rotate the trucks. Also another thing comes to mind and god forbid it doesnt happen but what to do in an accident and truck is totalled? This would put you down until you get another truck.

If i just trade in my truck for another one, will this new truck cost me close to the same amount of grief if not more? At this point, I'm pretty much looking for the best answer but its pretty hard to gauge with all different answers coming from different experiences.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  7. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    not at all. older cat or cummins would be o.k. too. just I never owned one, except detroit. to me they are like my ole days way back when.. when no matter what other cars lasted longer, I did not know how to work on them. I like the detroits. I know more about them than other makes. still do not know a lot maybe, but I do know like my ole chevy day's with the 350's in them. I could always find some who knew how to fix them & parts were not expensive & you did not have to order the parts. now a days you not only have the worry of breakdown but to find someone who can diagnose & fix without costing a couple grand.

8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009

The 2013 FL I'm driving has had $20G spent on it in the last 5 months. Should the dealer have just install a new motor instead?

Thank god for warranties

9. Steinbrenner

Steinbrenner Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2013
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Trucks ain't like a pair of shoes that you have in the corner.They have to be on the road hustling

10. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    That's right, and then he'll have 2 trucks to fix.:yes2557:

mc8541ss Thanks this.
  11. mc8541ss

mc8541ss Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Lower Alabama
    A 2k investment per month will get you a new glider or new truck. No reason to spend that much to have a spare. Just get a different truck. I have a 99 379 with a 1,800,000 on it and have just went over $60,000 in maint since I bought it in 09. And that is because I just did a rebuild. With the right shop or some mechanical skills you should be able to make a truck as good as new for 50k.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.