OOIDA petitions Elaine Chao/Jim Mullen.

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by OldW900AOwner, May 19, 2020.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    So this is a real world example from someone who just because of his positioning has seen a first-hand point of view of what some Brokers do, yet here is what we will hear next.

You are a moron! You don't know how to negotiate! It's idiots like you that are the reason their rates are low because you accepted that load! Now you come onto an internet forum and cry like a baby! You have no idea what you're doing and it's guys like you that are the problem in this industry! You don't know anything about running a business you're just some broke guy that wants to scream and whine because you are too stupid to know what you're doing!

Just let a real man like me take care of it and you get out of the way you putz! Idiot! Moron! imbecile!

You know you would think that if someone reads this and realizes that's what they sound like maybe it would change things even a little bit but... nah!

SMH...

OldW900AOwner Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    If the guy in the middle gets two separate people to agree to two separate business deals on their own free will why is he all of the sudden the bad guy? How many quotes did the shipper get in this instance before he agreed to the rate that the broker quoted him? If he wasn’t happy with the rate then why did he agree to it? What if the shipper got 4 quotes and this broker was the cheapest? It would seem the shipper was ok with his choice up until he spoke with the poster involved. If he wasn’t ok with his choice then he was somewhat foolish to accept the rate.

The poster already explained his point of view, but the fact is he agreed to the rate and it would seem he was ok with his choice, even though he didn’t get what he wanted, up until he spoke with the other party.

Did the poster here gain a direct customer? None of my business. Will the shipper ever use that broker again? Don’t really care. A broker is in it for a profit same as everyone else. And in this instance one could say that he was a better negotiator than the other two parties involved or he threatened bodily harm to both of them to get them agree to terms they didn’t like.

4. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    How many of the guys on the "we need broker transparency" wagon have been at this for 30 some years?

5. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Rates are low because there's more trucks than freight, seriously how have you not understood that yet?

OldW900AOwner Thanks this.
  6. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    When I was hauling cattle you always had the guys that would show up from somewhere else and be calling around looking for work for a month if it was slow where they were from. One of the guys we hauled for a lot would use those other guys on the stuff we couldn’t cover when it was crazy busy. At that time we were running for $3.80 a mile prorate over 50k and those out of towners would haul right alongside us for a flat $3.40 a mile and load heavy. So does that make the buyer a bad guy for paying them less or does that make the other guys foolish for hauling cheaper just to have work?

Edit: Some people may not understand the rate deal. If we loaded 55k on a 600 mile load the rate would work out to $4.18 a mile, versus those other guys hauling the same load for $3.40.

Rubber duck kw Thanks this.
  7. OldW900AOwner

OldW900AOwner Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2020
    VT
    You seem to be the only one that "get's it" Dino. Your perspective is exactly what I'm trying to convey. I could give two ####$ about the broker vs. carrier, negotiating skills, and whatever else they try to throw in the mix to split hairs about what I was trying to say in the OP. I focused on the point of getting BS'd and that's the point in it's entirety. Nothing else. It's just a scenario that I thought needed mentioning, but as you say...you'd think someone would read these comments and maybe check their own conscience and realize what they sound like. "Nah" is right, LOL.

I wish more thought like you...this business would be worth conducting then.(maybe.) It's easy to sit and beat your chest about how much you know about everybody else's business, isn't it? But yet they (if in your shoes,) experienced the same negative circumstances, would be the first to start hollering about the problem. Must be they've all got this all figured out already, and it's all rainbows and unicorns for them, all the time.

8. OldW900AOwner

OldW900AOwner Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2020
    VT
    Yeah, but why commend the scumbags for lying. I don't have much use for a liar or a thief. If you can't conduct yourself in an honest manner, you shouldn't be playing with peoples livelihoods.

We're talking about a guy that owns an old wheel loader that needed it brought from his house in CT, to his camp in northern VT on the Canadian border; not like it was some big global, international shipping trade deal going on. He got referred to this trucking company which happens to have a brokerage license through one of his own friends, so he made the call and unknowingly agreed to pay the original $2,000.00 to have this machine moved. He wasn't happy about it at all, but without being familiar with how trucking works, all he wanted was to simply get the machine to camp to use it.

The trucking company contacted me knowing it was my area of expertise, and again,..I worked on that guy for 20 minutes to get the number up to what I felt was a fair and equitable one for everyone. All we did was dance around the subject until I was sick of the BS, despite the fact that I well knew his "all I have in it" line was a blatant lie, and I decided to go ahead and do the job to incorporate it into something else I had going on.

This isn't a typical scenario of the thousands or guys sitting in their underwear in the bunk on their laptops searching DAT or TS.com, it was a typical day at the office for me. Yeah, I coulda declined...but that's not the point. I wasn't looking for this in the first place, they came to me. You'd think you'd be able to come to a comfortable conclusion for all parties, but not in this business.

So #1; I did my best to make the best negotiation that I could, and #2; I got the "that's all I got in it" line. This is the key to all this rambling on...that line.

The next day we find out that it wasn't what we all both expected, the man on the paying end was pissed, I was just my normal self...knowing it was another jerk job, and on with the day I went.

No big deal...just bringing up the real side of the story, that's all. If people were to be offended by every single one of those brokers scripted lines, they wouldn't be doing very much trucking. Glad I don't deal with them enough to care. It's the ones that live off of load board/spot market freight that have to deal with it day in and day out.

9. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    If you actually read what I’m saying, the main point is people make their own choices. He chose to only get one rate quote. He chose to accept it. It was his choice to not make any other calls or try and get quotes from anyone else.

Same as the protestors in DC. They chose to base their business model on living off the load boards. They chose to accept the rates they were being paid until they couldn’t anymore. And now it’s someone else’s fault for the situation they’re in.

Many of us who see how this transparency stuff could backfire don’t even use brokers at all. What if the TIA uses their lobby money and convinced the FMCSA that all rates need to be public as a big middle finger to the guys wanting transparency? Then we’re all screwed. Every one of us wants to make a profit, I feel counting someone else’s money is the wrong way to do it. That’s all.

Rubber duck kw Thanks this.
  10. supertrucker79

supertrucker79 Light Load Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Pittsburgh, PA
    “But he answered one of them, ‘I am not being unfair to you, friend. Didn’t you agree to work for a denarius? Take your pay and go. I want to give the one who was hired last the same as I gave you. Don’t I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?’

“So the last will be first, and the first will be last.”

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.