Open Shoulder Tires vs Closed Shoulder Tires

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by 1Diesel, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    I don’t live/work in Canuckistan, (neither does X1), but there’s no doubt in my mind that closed-shoulder has the on-road advantage.

MICHELIN LTX lasts me over 100k easily only my 1-T Cummins. BRIDGESTONE Duravis would be the second choice.

We gave up miles for the lugged style in the oilfield on Class 8. One type was even known as “the Halliburton tire”. BRIDGESTONE 726 was great otherwise. Never got stuck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I will say that yes closed shoulder is good for onroad. However I would like them where possible to have aggressive traction. If it is anything I get infuriated at is a 18 wheeler on a produce dock spinning both axles drives on light glaze ice hardly worth noticing trying to dock on level ground.

4. Slowmover1

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    Open shoulder is a penalty in life & mpg AND HANDLING/Braking.

There are some decent compromise tires now.

And walk farther.

Or, like me, carry 10’ planks (2WD)

5. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You are absolutely correct. Penalties all around.

Keep in mind i only put about 420 miles on my Tahoe going on 6 years now. It's a 4 wheel. Not that I have any intention to use it like some around here do. But it's there and good to have when you need it.

6. Slowmover1

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    I understood where you were coming from about usage

. I don’t have 15k on the latest tire set. 7-years in September. Hurts to spend another $1300.

May just put traction style on rear. But the 8’ planks are good for travel trailer and truck.

4WD another penalty not worth having. Oilfield hotshot gives it up quickly.

7. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I understand you, I would have preferred a 2wd. However this vehicle was availible and at some thought at that price point what the heck, it would be my second 4x4 and I knew I will have some shop time related to it. But it's absolutely not that necessary. We were just as successful with the last two 2WD trucks we had in Arkansas in all seasons.

Even if I needed a 4x4, that truck would be my last choice. It has a habit of breaking axles in the back when forced up too steep a hill that a jeep can run.

8. Slowmover1

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
  9. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Yea.

Anyway. My back ultimately decided it through the comfort on the bad roads along with the no techology beeping etc.

Moving on.

Yokos and bridges for steers and michelin for drives. Anything goes for trailer as far as I am concerned.

I am peeved that everyone is slapping low profiles onto the drives now plus steers. You can imagine that high gap pushing air into the under of the trailer negating the skirting advantage.

10. Slowmover1

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    See PETERBILT “EPIQ” package

And

“Flo Below” (for Drives)

We’ve got it, Wally has it. Works.

11. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Bringing this back up, as my XDN2's have reached 2/3s (410 000kms) of their life, and its time to start thinking the next set. I would think about getting XDN2's again, but the price has gone right through the roof! Even with the national account discount, its simply to much money to spend on tires. Recently the company I contract too, has started putting Continentals on again. They tried the HDL2's and HD3 Hybrids in the past, which did OK but had irregular wear, stone drilling and chunking issues in some cases. They are using the HDW2's now, and seem to be very happy with them. So trucks with XDN2's and XDS2's will getting these when they wear out. HDW2 (continental-truck.com)

Has anyone put some miles on those Hankook DL12Flex Drives? How are they holding up? Smart Flex DL12 - Best Truck Tires & Bus Tires | Hankook Canada (hankooktire.com)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.