Operating Costs

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TTNJ, Dec 8, 2019.

1. TTNJ

TTNJ Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Understanding YOUR costs is the single most important part of being any business owner in any industry. Everybody’s costs will differ depending on your situation.
    Folks might have to run at cost certain times to stay afloat, we all agree at some time you need to make a profit. As an O/O your costs should not include your wages in my opinion. If you had a driver in the seat then yes but as an owner this is the investment you make and the sacrifices that are made.
    My costs might be $0.70/mile while others might be $2.00/mile. The gap could be there simply because my rig is paid for while others have a payment. While not recommended your costs may not also include the truck maintenance.
    No facts to suppprt this but I would guess 95% of those that fail don’t know what their costs are. Revenue probably wasn’t the issue.

Ridlingdj Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    The great thing about running your own business is that we each get to decide what is best for our own situation. I don’t ever intentionally run at a loss or beak even as I will deadhead past junk freight. I generally run dedicated contract freight so my rates are consistent over the life of the contract. I also figure my net per mile on every last item, service or expense associated with the business from an in-frame to a bottle of window cleaner, including retirement contributions on the business side. The retirement contributions on the personal side are after the net bring home. Occasionally I run spot market or out of my lane and will bypass low paying freight coming back towards home to get to the better freight. Other times I stop in and pick that lower paying load up, if it doesn’t cost me much extra time. I have no college degree only 1.5 years of college, but was taught by my Grandfather who was one of the most intelligent people I have ever known. He had a 6th grade education but managed to succeed in life.

dwells40, Midwest Trucker and Tug Toy Thank this.
  4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Seriously, I give you the benefit of the doubt that you are confusing something else with the cost per mile:
    but what we mean by the cost per mile is something that I laid out below:
    based on my YTD numbers:

Mileage: 92 228
    Fuel: $40,720.13 (0.44 per mile)
    Maintenance: $16,535.97
    Insurance : $ 8, 510
    Truck Loan payments: $0
    Trailer Loan payments: $6,987.48
    Tolls: $8,639.80
    License&Tax $4,938.21
    Parking $3,706
    Scales: $ 225
    Office: $1,429.95
    Fees&Interests: $4,691.98
    Communication: $2,200
    Other Expenses: $309.59

TOTAL: $ 94, 202.63
    Cost per mile: 1.02 (excluding driver's pay which can be arbitrary and very )
    however;
    with a driver's pay at 45c a mile: $50,725 (line hual) + $3 000 (additional drops, detention, layovers) = 53 725

cost per mile: & 1.60

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    bamanation, Eldiablo, SL3406 and 6 others Thank this.
  6. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    1.50 a loaded mile is horrible, I don't like to touch anything under 2 a loaded mile.

7. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    In order to compare apples to apples, we may come up with a figure that reflects only "truck rolling on the road" cost per mile:
    Fuel cost per mile + Maintenance cost per mile which in my case is 0.62 cpm
    But this only serves to show if someone else's truck is more or less efficient to operate.

However, someone may still effectively argue that he'd rather pay higher maintenance for an old truck than 3k payment per month for a brand new truck...so this comparison would not make sense entirely business wise because it does not show cost of revenue loss due to downtime.

dwells40 and Oxbow Thank this.
  8. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    I think ya'll are full of jello......
    I've never once sharpened my pencil an 'drilled down'; I simply run.
    I have no idea whatsoever what it costs to run my truck; never really thought it was that important....and here's why......
    Cost of fuel, ain't a thing you can do about it
    Rates, they are what they are. Either take it or sit.
    Maintenance, again, it is what it is. Fix it, and roll on.
    Taxes, you're gonna pay. The only control over that is if you keep your receipts, and even then, it doesn't move the needle that much.
    Permits, buy 'em. You're gonna need 'em.
    Expenses on the road, do your best to keep them down, but there's no sense in making a miserable situation that much more miserable. Live a little.

Yeah, get your best deal on tires and keep an eye on fuel prices. But, at the end of the year, the winners will be those who got up every day, did their best, and tried. That said, those who run for 88 CPM plus FSC will fail because they fundamentally don't understand the business. However, $1.00 a mile out of Florida is just fine with me, so long as I got $2.50 to go in. And if your 'pride' won't let you run for $1 a mile, have fun sitting at the truckstop; I'll be out making money.

86scotty, lynchy, adayrider and 3 others Thank this.
  9. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    True, the way I see it is lots of people will say you have to take the good with the bad. I've always said you got to take the great and sometimes settle for the good with this business if you are going to make it work. To many things now days that take a big bite out of profit and sometimes in a short period of time when you thought you were doing good. Might was well drive a company truck if you're going to break even in the end.

dwells40 and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  10. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    I could probably drive a company truck and do as well as I am now. The wrench in the monkey works is, I like adapting what I'm in to suit my wants/needs. Most companies won't allow you to make modifications. One company I was with had no problem with me removing the passenger seat, most don't like that. If I'm going to be out here as much as I am, company or o/o, I'd rather be comfortable in my own equipment than constantly frustrated in someone else's.

11. TTNJ

TTNJ Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2017
    You get away with this because you understand that sometimes you have to move the truck at $1.00 per mile. Idle equipment still has to be paid for

12. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    You have to move the truck for $1.00 per mile????

13. TTNJ

TTNJ Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Take the time to read the thread......

It was stated that if you had to run to Florida for $2.50 a mile that one O/O would be willing to take $1.00 a mile to get out of Florida.

But yes, I would move the truck for even under $1.00 per mile if it helped the big picture of covering fixed costs and getting me to where I could make more per mile.

As Opus stated, have fun sitting at the truck stop waiting for the $2.50 mile rate in a dead freight zone.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    WAR Log, Ridlingdj and dwells40 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs