Opinion on the truck, 2009 freightliner Columbia.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by pavrom, Jan 16, 2019.

1. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    2009 freightliner Columbia
    12.7 detroit preemission , 10 speed , 2.93 gears
    Biggest concern mpg
    997k miles .
    One more - 6x2 , 2nd axle liftable - never had experience with that , I don't run very heavy often ...only con I guess not being able to get out when stuck ...
    Overall clean fleet truck , no overhaul
    Just would like to hear opinions and price guesses

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Probably about ready for rebuild if not there already. 12.7 s60 isn't all that expensive to have it done. Sounds like a decent truck if it's your entry into being an owner operator. If you run mountainous regions or otherwise will likely need 4 way locking drives that may make me hesitate. If you're mostly flat land you should be fine. Just always remember it's only 6x2 don't get hung up somewhere like train tracks..

Price could be anywhere, low side maybe 10k (?) High side maybe 25k (?). If it's s60 pre egr that will drive price up. If it's eld exempt engine that will drive it up. If overall condition of the truck is decent it should fall in that range I would think. Have it dyno tested and oil analysis done for an idea where you are at. Those old detroits some of them would go 1.5 even 2.0 isn't unheard of before needing rebuilt. At 997k it could be just a fleet dumping it regardless.

dunchues and bigguns Thank this.
  4. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    That sounds like one of those Kevin Rutherford specials. I wouldn't touch one of them.

5. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    Old freightliners never die,they just drive like they did.

AModelCat, dunchues and bigguns Thank this.
  6. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    I sold my 2003 Columbia with 12.7 Detroit with over 2 million miles 2 weeks ago for $9500. I asked for $10k but I was prepared to go as low as $7.5-8k. I cannot believe it sold for that much.

That truck sounds great and you can probably get a solid year in before a rebuild is needed. Check the blowby visually and you’ll get a clue. I drive from Texas to New England and haven’t needed to lock the diffs in over a year so you’re probably fine without, and I do flatbed work.

As far as fuel mileage mine was bad. 5-6.4mpg cruise control 70mph at 1450rpms hauling flatbed with exhaust in front of sleeper and no side skirts. We have another 1998 with the 12.7 everything the same and it gets 6.5-7.2mpg hauling dry van with side skirts.

7. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    I do flat bed and step deck ...got my truck engine c16 built last summer , driving it very careful for best mpg ...this one I'm thinking to get as a replacement for my 2000 Pete with c15 ...it used to be carhauler before , being flat top with longer than regular wheelbase and pulling conestoga - gas mileage absolutely horrible ...around 5( mostly less )
    Asking price for freightliner 19k ...I know I can't compare Pete with shaker but at the moment I'm looking for wise decision toward business ...used to have century 2005 with erg delete and preegr turbo and tune that truck was pulling same as my cat doing 7mpg all day long at 70mph
    PS truck don't have lower fairings , running mostly Midwest , east , nc tn sc ga from time to time

8. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    ...honestly I don't even remember myself locking diff lastly ...

9. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    When I bought the one I'm driving now, it needed the pinion bearing in the front driver. The mechanic told me that the power divider looked beat up, and he didnt recommend locking it up if I was rolling and to really be careful with it. So I've owned it for over 2 years and I haven't engaged it. I drive up north, so I'm in the snow all the time.

10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I can believe you got that. I sold a bunch back in October and had best offer on every one of them, every one sold to the first person who looked at the truck, and for 2 to 3 times as much as I was willing to let them go, they were real junk. BUT I didn't argue with these new guys, they were told old iron was the best, even those these trucks were junk yard trucks.

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  11. dk0529

dk0529 Bobtail Member

May 8, 2019
    Is there a way to make the steering column drop lower like you can in a pete?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.