opinions on glider kits

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by TommyToe, Sep 24, 2007.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Colorado
    how do you meet emissions?

Colorado tests diesels (exhaust pipe, yes it's stupid, it's just another tax)
    and it's by the year.
    My 99 has easier scores to meet than the 03 and the newer ones are even harder.

so, how would that work?
    You'd have a titled 2010 truck with a 02 motor (for example), would it pass?
    would it even be legal here?

anyone know?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lowbudget

lowbudget Medium Load Member

Apr 12, 2008
    Bismarck, ND
    From what I was told, trucks are regulated differently than cars in that the emissions standards go by the year of the engine, not the year of the chassis. Checkwith your local tester to find out and let the rest of us know.

4. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    Yup.
    Depending on the state you can register either way.
    Many states allow you to register under the engine year and number. Others will want you to use the tractor vin.
    Gliders can come with a vin on the chassis or not, depending on the buyers wishes. But the chassis manufacturer is the only one that can legally stamp the chassis with that number, so it must be done before it is out of there shop.
    I would personally opt to have the number there, as most do. Then register it under the engine year if possible in the my state.
    A Detroit 60 is a great engine for fuel economy, and throw that engine with proper gears and tranny into a new aero truck and you have a winner.
    With fuel prices on the rise it will not be long till FSC is paying a large portion of a drivers fuel bill each month, especially if they get 7.4 mpg or better.

Regulations on this are governed the same way with kit cars and with replacement chassis for custom built cars and trucks.

5. Loaderlou

Loaderlou Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2014
    Hi everybody, the company is Fitzgerald Gliders based in Tennesee. They offer Freightliners, Peterbilts, and Kenworths. They come as rolling gliders, which means they already have the rears in. They have a very informative web site. Check it out. The bonus to a glider is a preemission motor, better fuel mileage, less aggravation with new emission crap.

6. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Um yes KW does make gliders!.

Loaderlou Thanks this.
  7. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    Really all glider kits I can see are with EPA 97-2001 ore Euro-II engines. It is good becouse they got no EGR, VNT and after exaust treatment, and we can use gliders for internal trucking, but for international trucking higher emission level is better. In USA the only state that bans old trucks is California.

In Europe we have to purchase permits for every trip and old emission permits number is limited. So DEF trucks have good advantage.

Ok, really to build engines of old emission standards is illegal for road use, but, it is legal to use rebuilt engines, so all engines in glider kits are not new.

8. Loaderlou

Loaderlou Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2014
    fitzgerald' engine of choice is the Detroit series 60 12.7 liter 500 hp. Check out their web site. I'm pretty sure it's a preemission engine, not to mention when they rebuild it, they paint it to match the color of the truck. I have a friend who just had one built, can't wait to check it out.

9. russtrucker

russtrucker Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Central PA
    They advice to first change oil in 5000 to 7000 miles. for reason like rebuild contaminates. gliders is my next truck after my t600. Probably I'll take coronado or t660.

10. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    back when that post said kw didn't offer gliders he was right. kw just recently in the last year or two started offering a glider.

11. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Things change in 7 years since thread started lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.